Logo

318 Intake manifold question

viking217

Had problem with rust through of the choke spring well so replaced the intake manifold. The one ordered was listed as direct replacement, however it doesn't have rear coolant passages. Is this acceptable? The engine seems to be running hotter. Where do those passages in the rear of the heads flow to and is it a good idea for them to be blocked? This is a split system with heat ex changer so those are antifreeze passages.

Coolant is meant to exit the heads at the front. They have ports at each end so that they are interchangeable left to right. Does your fresh water cooling incorporate the exhaust manifolds. Pictures of intake manifolds? Please?

Hmmm, in my case the intake manifold has a rectangular vessel chamber with a radiator cap that is mounted to the top front of the intake manifold where a gooseneck might be in other cases. This is where the coolant is added. The front of the intake manifold is fed by this and the passages connect to the front of the heads on each side. So I get the fact of side to side interchangeability, but in this case not sure if the coolant needs to flow through the head and then out the back port ???

Yes, the fresh water is incorporated in the exhaust manifolds and fed by a separate impeller pump.

I'll take some pix and post them.

Thanks for the help.

but in this case not sure if the coolant needs to flow through the head and then out the back port ???

Nope,...... Go look at the old intake, there's no water ports in the aft of intakes,....

Back