Logo

275a steering knuckle

Glasstream172

I'm feeling kind of dumb right now but I'm trying to remove my suspension Fork from the pivot tube so I can replace my bushings that's causing a break in my raw water intake and I was wondering if anyone has any insight how to separate them

Last edited:
First remove the transmission from the Intermediate housing.
Now remove the lower gear unit.

Next, carefully remove the two suspension fork ”hinge pins”! Apply propane or Map gas heat (not Oxy-Acet) to the pin bosses as to expand them some.

These pins are soft...... DO NOT drive against them with any tool that is harder than an Italian Bread Stick!

Next, while at the work bench, you will need to press the pivot tube down and out from the suspension fork and Intermediate housing.
Again...... the pivot tube is soft...... do not damage the upper area where the beaded gasket rests.

What is the best way to press that out

If you use a hydraulic press, you'll need to be creative. The suspension fork will need to be properly supported giving the pivot tube clearance to drop down.

If you gently drive it out, you will need to support the underside of the suspension fork giving the pivot tube clearance to drop down.
You will use a soft brass tool at the top of the pivot tube as to gently drive against the delicate upper area.
This upper surface must be near pristine as to allow the beaded gasket to rotate on it, and to seal!
The brass tool diameter can not exceed the pivot tube diameter!
The most resistance will be where the pivot tube fits into the Intermediate housing.
Mild Heat at this area can be your friend. (heat will expand the aluminum some)
Propane or Map gas ONLY..... NO Oxy-Acet!

Watch for the two nylon spacers above and below the Reverse Latch bearing sleeve, and for the SS washer.
These must go back as they were.

At the bottom of the pivot tube, there will be a needle bearing surface. This surface must be free from rust/corrosion.
If the needle bearing is ok, you may be able to re-use it. Be sure to pack it with fresh water proof grease. (don't rely on the grease port)

280 Intermediate housing.jpg

Last edited:
Re: "These pins are soft...... DO NOT drive against them with any tool that is harder than an Italian Bread Stick!"

I found that on older drives, that previous owners may have driven these in or out and slightly mushroomed the outer end. As a precaution, I swing the drive to one extreme side and carefully drive the pin out from the inside ( using said not harder than an Italian (stale?) breadstick driver)... You should drive the pin out on that side where the pin will clear the transom shield ears when driven from the inside... swing drive to the other extreme to do the other side. Clearance is tight but it''s doable. Always replace the plastic bushings!!!... and the pins if mushroomed. They should slide through under finger pressure alone if not mushroomed.

Last edited:
Re: "These pins are soft...... DO NOT drive against them with any tool that is harder than an Italian Bread Stick!"

I found that on older drives, that previous owners may have driven these in or out and slightly mushroomed the outer end.
Yes Bob........, I have also seen many that were mushroomed and expanded. These can be very tough to get out. :mad:

As a precaution, I swing the drive to one extreme side and carefully drive the pin out from the inside ( using said not harder than an Italian (stale?) breadstick driver)...
Go to the Italian bakery and ask for a few week-old bread sticks...... they seem to work the best.
Keep a tad bit of butter with you for the left-overs!
:p

You should drive the pin out on that side where the pin will clear the transom shield ears when driven from the inside... swing drive to the other extreme to do the other side. Clearance is tight but it''s doable.
On occasion, you may need to drive a pin one way, and then the other a bit. This should help break up any corrosion.
Heat at the pin boss, along with a brass drift pin works well.

Always replace the plastic bushings!!!... and the pins if mushroomed. They should slide through under finger pressure alone if not mushroomed.
Agreed!
I would also grease them with water proof grease.

Back