Logo

Johnson 70, 1986 no start after 30 mins

My 1986 Johnson 70 hp will start from cold by advancing the throttle and pushing the choke/primer one time. After reaching full operating temperature measured with a IR thermometer 140 degrees I can shut the engine down and then quickly pump the key switch and it will start instantly. If I leave the boat, say on the beach or at the dock for about half an hour I cant restart it. I usually just leave it until the next day after it fully cools down and it will restart using the same cold start procedure. The motor runs fantastic for hours on end plenty of power everything good. When this happens I always check spark first and find no problem there. I am wondering if there should be a different procedure for when the engine is still warm but not all the way at operating temp. I have been left stranded a number of time for this exact situation.

Please let me know if the start sequence should be different. I an looking at this as the operator now not the mechanic because I can find nothing mechanically wrong.

Back