Logo

1992 omc 5.7 V8 King Cobra Electrical Question

paulrogert

The engine quit turning over, when I turn the key, nothing happens, the bilge pump and blower work but no cranking. I replaced the solenoid and starter. There two 50 amp circuit breakers, for lack of a better word, they have a red rubber button that says 50, and a small circular housing. Wondering if there is a good chance if I replace these two items if this will solve my problem... Thx for any helpful advice

Before changing parts, use your VOM to test the key switch S circuit to the starter motor solenoid.
This is typically a circuit using a yellow/red stripe wire.
Check this circuit from the rear of the key switch S terminal to the starter motor.
Don't forget the Engine-to-Hull harness connector.

This circuit will also pass through a Neutral Safety switch in the throttle/shift unit.
Check this as well.
If the Neutral Safety switch is not closing (while in Neutral), you will not have power at the starter motor solenoid's triggering circuit.

There should also be an ignition fuse in the dash. This would be the cylindrical type fuses. The shifter interlock could also be an issue where it "thinks" it is in gear and will not turn over. If the throttle/shifter is original it is likely pretty worn out. Our boat is a '92 also and had to replace the throttle/shifter a couple years back.

A better description of when the problem showed up may help as well. Was it fine and next time you went to use it just nothing? Died on the water and would not restart? Or..??

Back