Logo

Tach/rectifier issue on Mariner 60hp

Coxn

OK, so my battery died recently. I checked the output voltage from the engine and realized the rectifier wasn't working. It looked burned out, so I replaced it. Pat on the back. Now the engine is charging the battery again. Unfortunately, now the tach has stopped working properly. I installed this tach myself a few weeks back. It was working fine with the old, non-charging rectifier. Now it's all screwed up. It will read for a bit, then flake out, and only works properly when I'm using the trim button.

Sounds like a short, but there's been no wiring change other than plugging in the five new wires of the rectifier. I'm thinking I bought a dodgy chinese part? Anyone know of a way to check the sender wire?

Hah! Here we go again. Move the tach sensing wire to the other stator wire terminal on the rectifier. DON'T move the stator wires, just the tach wire.

Don't know why this is necessary, but I've run into it numerous times.

Jeff

Jeff you cant on that unit as tach output is on separate wire...it has 5 wires. Check voltage out on grey wire with DVA meter and check grounds to unit .

Thanks for the tips. Yes it's a 5 wire unit. Grounded through the case. I'll check that first. Don't have a DVA, but I see from the interwebs that plenty of people make their own. I'll check The Source for parts.

Ended up getting myself another rectifier from a US supplier. This one worked. So I guess the problem was all down to dodgy Chinese quality control on the first new part I ordered. Caveat emptor. Not all Amazonians are equal!

Back