Logo

Issues with 1996 4hp

dpruzan

Hello,
I recently purchased a 1996 Evinrude 4 hp (model E4REDS), and I'm having some problems that I was hoping you folks could help with. The motor starts and idles fine, but when I put it in gear and open the throttle it will run fine for a few seconds before it bogs and dies. If I pull out the choke about 1/3 of the way, it runs better, but eventually dies. After I go through this start, run, die cycle about 3 or 4 times (over the course of about 5 minutes) it will get going and keep running strong without further problems. I've done the following;
changed plugs
rebuilt carb
sanded down carb base on glass plate to make sure it isn't warped
replaced the carb base gasket, the leaf plate gasket, and the intake manifold gasket
reset the gap between the flywheel and the ignition module
cleaned the filter screen in the fuel tank

I'm getting pretty close to dropping this thing into the bay. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dan

Obviously, by the mention of using the choke...it runs better, the problem is due to a lack of fuel.

I retired from the OMC trade in 1991 so I'm not familiar with the design of the fuel tank (built in or separate tank) or the carburetor. However, somewhere along the line, the fuel is not being delivered fast enough. If a separate tank... suspect the fuel pump.

As a test, although not a feature you'd want to get in the habit of... run the engine one time "without" the fuel filter screen, making sure that no debris is present anywhere in the tank or fuel line.

The carburetor... Does it have a slow speed adjustable needle valve? Assuming that model has a fixed high speed jet... did you carefully clean the high speed jet that is normally located in the bottom center portion of the carburetor with a piece of single strand steel wire?... If not, do so as solvent just doesn't do that job properly.

Last edited:
Hello,
I recently purchased a 1996 Evinrude 4 hp (model E4REDS), and I'm having some problems that I was hoping you folks could help with. The motor starts and idles fine, but when I put it in gear and open the throttle it will run fine for a few seconds before it bogs and dies. If I pull out the choke about 1/3 of the way, it runs better, but eventually dies. After I go through this start, run, die cycle about 3 or 4 times (over the course of about 5 minutes) it will get going and keep running strong without further problems. I've done the following;
changed plugs
rebuilt carb
sanded down carb base on glass plate to make sure it isn't warped
replaced the carb base gasket, the leaf plate gasket, and the intake manifold gasket
reset the gap between the flywheel and the ignition module
cleaned the filter screen in the fuel tank

I'm getting pretty close to dropping this thing into the bay. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dan
You don't say whether you are using the integral fuel tank or an external tank. The model number suggests that it should have an integral tank and provision to connect an external tank.

If you are using the integral tank I would direct attention to the bladder that Racerone mentions and other associated components including the two small check valves and the O rings on the fuel shut off valve. Also look at the main fuel pump and the external fuel tank connector for possible sources of air in-leakage

If you are using an external tank look for sources of air in-leakage into the fuel line (main suspects being the connectors) and the fuel pump. Does repeatedly squeezing the fuel line bulb help to keep it running?

Thank you all for your suggestions.
1. I have an external tank
2. The carb does have a slow speed adjustable needle valve and a fixed high speed jet. I soaked everything in a tank of carb cleaner, but I didn’t clean the high speed jet with a piece of single strand steel wire. I’ll give that a try.
3. It does have the red fuel pump bladder. I inspected it and it looks okay, but I didn’t replace it. I can try that.
4. I’ve tried repeatedly squeezing the fuel line bulb help to keep it running, and while that may have helped a bit, it didn’t solve the problem.
The main thing that I don’t understand is that once it really gets going, it runs pretty strong with zero choke. I give it plenty of time to warm up at the dock before I try taking off, so I don’t think it is just a temperature issue.

Thanks
Dan

Your statement of... "The main thing that I don’t understand is that once it really gets going, it runs pretty strong with zero choke" sorta brings to mind a vacuum increase of the engine pulling the fuel in (with the faulty fuel pump's help). Maybe just wishful thinking, BUT............

Your statement of... "The main thing that I don’t understand is that once it really gets going, it runs pretty strong with zero choke" sorta brings to mind a vacuum increase of the engine pulling the fuel in (with the faulty fuel pump's help). Maybe just wishful thinking, BUT............

Joe,

I'm not sure that I'm following your suggestion.

One thought was that there is a gasket that is allowing air to leak into the crankcase and thus leaning out the mixture. When the engine gets sufficiently hot, everything expands enough to seal this air leak. It was this thinking that led me to replace the carb, leaf plate, and intake manifold gaskets, but none of these helped solve the problem. Are there other gaskets I should replace?
Thanks
Dan

Dan.... My suggestion meant that I suspect the problem is the fuel pump... BUT perhaps the vacuum portion of the engine, along with the failing fuel pump (if that's the problem) might be enough to keep the engine going "strong" as you put it momentarily... was just a thought due to your mention of...... "The main thing that I don’t understand is that once it really gets going, it runs pretty strong with zero choke"

Replace all the fuel lines with the pump. Pull the fuel ine oof of the carb and see if fuel pumps free with the primer bulb. Sounds to me like a restriction in the fuel line it takes less fuel to run good once up to temp.

Replace all the fuel lines with the pump. Pull the fuel ine oof of the carb and see if fuel pumps free with the primer bulb. Sounds to me like a restriction in the fuel line it takes less fuel to run good once up to temp.

THANKS everyone for your help!! I rebuilt the fuel pump and it seems like that solved the problem. I really appreciate all the great advice. I have to say, considering how simple everything else is on this little motor, rebuilding the fuel pump was a big pain in the butt.

cheers
Dan

Back