Logo

2001 Mariner 40 - Add Tachograph?

alt123

Hi all,
I have just bought a RIB with Mariner 40. It's a 2-stroke, 2001, electric start. I have the control box with key and there is a loom coming out of it. I didn't think to take a picture (will do tomorrow), but does anyone know if it's possible to easily add a tacho? ie. Plug n Play?

Many thanks all.

A wire coming from the stator (circuit that charges the battery) is all you need. Select 12P (or is it 6P? Never remember which) on the back of the tach. If it doesn't read, try the other stator wire. Why that should make a difference baffles me but...

Jeff

PS: If your motor has a voltage regulator, there might be a special wire coming from it to run the tach. Not familiar with those 'modern' Mercs.

[h=1]Mariner 40 Hp Outboard Wiring Diagram Awesome Technical Information[/h]
mariner-40-hp-outboard-wiring-diagram-awesome-technical-information-of-mariner-40-hp-outboard-wiring-diagram.jpg

The tach signal is the "B/Grey" wire from the control. FastJeff is correct it is 12p setting.

Hope this helps :D

Thank you very much for the response.

I checked the control box today and indeed there is a grey cable. Is it easiest to just splice into it? As there is a connector at the end of it, which I don't have the other end of!

Do you connect this grey to the 'signal' lug on the tacho? And then just provide a + and - ? Is the red in the pic above a switched positive? If not, I can just put a switch on the switch panel (I don't have a main battery switch, yet... I know I need to get one)

I would personally would never cut or splice into my control harness. Mercury makes a tach harness that should plug into the surface mount control.

Here is a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Mercury-Marine-Quicksilver-Harness-Tach/dp/B007D35I68

If I remember correctly I paid about $20 shipped to my door step for one of these harnesses off of E-bay.

There are three wires coming out:
"A/Blue" Switched 12vdc plus
"B/Gray" Tach signal
"C/Black" Ground 12vdc minus

Good luck ;)

Back