Logo

Starts rough when "hot"... Starts good cold (for the most part)

taymag

Contributing Member
2005 2-cycle Merc 150 carbbed outboard... I usually fire the boat up the day before (takes minute) but then the next morning it fires right up...

The issue is after hours of trolling when I stop to bottom fish for 30 min or so sometimes I literally barely get it started. I feel like once its warm it should start the best? This has to have some sort of resolution since its known on carbbed dirt bikes (my bike has a hot start lever, basically a reverse choke from what I've always understood, more air than gas)

Edit to add... I try all variations, ball is primed/hard, a little throttle, throttle all the way open, a little choke sometimes (when all else fails since it goes against what I do on a dirtbike)

Last edited:
Sounds like a carb(s) might be flooding. Try running it dry before you shut down and see if that cures the problem..

Jeff

Disconnect your fuel supply and let it idle until it quits.

Are you saying for testing purposes? This isnt a one time thing, it happens when I go fish every couple weeks after running all day.

I am looking for more of a long term solution, like to fuel pumps possibly let in too much fuel when theyre going out? So replace?

Yes he means for testing purposes. If it fires up hot after you run the carbs dry then you have a flooding issue. Maybe a stuck float or something along those lines.

Don't do the above.....if its flooding at all there will be a rainbow in the water around engine. The problem you describe is possibly hot soak.....when you get it restarted does it smoke for a second or two the clear up???

Don't do the above.....if its flooding at all there will be a rainbow in the water around engine. The problem you describe is possibly hot soak.....when you get it restarted does it smoke for a second or two the clear up???

Are you saying not to do that because gas in the water if not good for the environment, or because it doesn't work? Ill have to check next time, I do remember idling for a while and having a little smoke while idling which I thought was weird but when I got it started after it was off for a while I just went full throttle to the dock

Get battery load tested.----Inspect starter motor brushes,---Starter armature for possible ground fault.

I actually just changed the batteries this week, I dont think that was the issue cause they weren't totally done for, just got new ones for a big trip coming up

What I meant is not to run it dry. If a carb is flood ing there will be fuel weeping from exhaust or from air box into water leaving a rainbow.

Back