Logo

Mariner CDM replacement

Cobus

Hi all, I've been off the forum for long time, but now back with a problem.

2003 Mariner 200HP, started with a missfire, took to a mechanic and after testing it, turned out to be the CDI on piston 3.
The part number on said CDI is 879984 and is an original Mercury part and the dealers/importers into South Africa is called Rutherford Marine.
On a suggestion of my mechanic, he replaced the CDI with an aftermarket replacement with a R02 marking on the CDI. The misfire was gone and I was happy.

As the new season started, I realized I lost 900rpm at full tilt and I battled to pull a slalom skier out of the water. I borrowed a secondhand, original CDI unit and exchanged it with the R02 unit....immediately I was back at 5300rpm and had full power as before.

I am now trying to get that original 879984 part and bring it into SA with friends of mine but it indicates to be discontinued on the above "search by part"

Any advice from you chaps???

Regards
Cobus

If your Ingnition Switch Box that was replaced and it was made by CDI Electronics they should replace it! I think they have a pretty good reputation and they do make a lot of stuff that Mercury chooses to quit making.

Hi all, I've been off the forum for long time, but now back with a problem.

2003 Mariner 200HP, started with a missfire, took to a mechanic and after testing it, turned out to be the CDI on piston 3.
The part number on said CDI is 879984 and is an original Mercury part and the dealers/importers into South Africa is called Rutherford Marine.
On a suggestion of my mechanic, he replaced the CDI with an aftermarket replacement with a R02 marking on the CDI. The misfire was gone and I was happy.

As the new season started, I realized I lost 900rpm at full tilt and I battled to pull a slalom skier out of the water. I borrowed a secondhand, original CDI unit and exchanged it with the R02 unit....immediately I was back at 5300rpm and had full power as before.

I am now trying to get that original 879984 part and bring it into SA with friends of mine but it indicates to be discontinued on the above "search by part"

Any advice from you chaps???

Regards
Cobus

Back