Logo

Mercruiser 5.7 dies at low rpms

Justinplumber

I have a 1994 ski centurion falcon with a mercruiser 5.7. First time this summer it was running rough and wild die here and there letting of the gas. We turned the idle up and made it through the night. I figured maybe bad gas so I put in a bottle of sea foam in the gas tank. Then the second time it started over heating (which was my impeller). But since it was already out I figured I would just cruise around and not go slow and watch the boat temp. So that was working fine until the boat just bogs down and dies at cruising speed. It wouldn't start for about 5 min and finally it started and I made it almost to the dock and it did the same thing. Waited awhile again and it fired up and made it to the dock. I brought it home and put in a new impeller but now when I running it at home it dies whenever I let off the throttle. I can kinda get it to stay running if I really slowly work it down to idle. I changed spark plugs, fuel filter, checked the coil and cleaned distributor ( is only two years old). I also checked and adjusted timing to eight. Any ideas before I pull the carb off and try clean it?

Any ideas before I pull the carb off and try clean it?

It is always best to use the tried and proven P of E..... (process of elimination).
Check one item ONLY at a time.
Change/replace one item ONLY at a time.

When the P of E is used systematically and methodically, it won't let you down.

Plus..... when you do find the problem (using the P of E), you will be better equipped to trouble-shoot in the future.

Back