Logo

1975 OMC 190 302cid Sea Ray

jusbcuz

I am new to the Marine venue but have a little experience mechanically. I inherited a 1975 OMC 190 302 Ford Sea Ray. I have no forward. Reverse is ok. I bought a manual #3400 but can not find a couple pieces of information.

1 What is the required fuel pressure to run the engine with an external pump as I do not wish to use the fuel onboard. The engine does run. Confirmed. I will pump it out with the mechanical pump once the external fuel pump is inline and the engine is running.

2 I have traced the wiring in the on/off switch with good voltage, in the shift box (at the green and blue) with good 12 volts and to the 4 pin plug leading into the stern. The green wire reads 10.3ohms and the blue reads 2.3ohms. I know there is a problem here with these readings as they should be between 4.5 -6.5 ohms. I want to make sure I am reading the correct wires before proceeding. This 4 pin inline quick disconnect plug is the only one I see on the port side behind the manifold and below a reservoir for hydraulic fluid.

Please confirm so far and I am assuming if I have done all correctly the problem is going to be a coil or wire internally in the sterndrive?

Thanks for the help in advance .. looking forward to hearing from y'all and getting the boat in the water. Az is hot and humid right now.

Last edited:
1 What is the required fuel pressure to run the engine with an external pump as I do not wish to use the fuel onboard. The engine does run. Confirmed. I will pump it out with the mechanical pump once the external fuel pump is inline and the engine is running.

Ayuh,...... 4 to 6 psi,..... I'd hook yer remote fuel tank to the mechanical pump now,.....

Then pump the crap outa the gas tank with my oil sucker tank, myself,.....

Ayuh,...... 4 to 6 psi,..... I'd hook yer remote fuel tank to the mechanical pump now,.....

Then pump the crap outa the gas tank with my oil sucker tank, myself,.....

QUOTE Duh, I did not think about that. I usually just bypass anything in the fuel flow to avoid any contamination in the carbs. Thanks QUOTE

Back