Logo

Replaced impeller on 1964 Merc 110

DamonZ28

Two months ago I knew next to nothing about boat motors. I purchased a 14' Sea Nymph with a 1964 Mercury 110 9.8 hp motor. The seller started it right up for me, and I took it out on the water shortly thereafter. After running the motor awhile, I first noticed some white smoke swelling up around the top of the motor. With some help from online friends & relatives, a replaced a rotted fuel line for about $12 with hardware store parts. Then I realized that there was no tell tale stream, so with some more online help, I replaced the impeller (which was completely de-vaned). I also replaced the lower gear oil and spark plugs. Now I see this motor has two tell tales, one from the exhaust and one from the left underside of the motor. Does that seem odd, or normal for a motor this age? At any rate, I'm pretty pleased that I've gotten this far!

Good Job! The fact that the 2nd telltail (under the cowling) is working is a good sign that the innards of your water passages are free and clear. You are now a Bona-Fied Mercury Mechanic and should be able to handle basic maint on any of the good ol' Classic Mercs!

The water coming out of the exhaust relief hole also cools the exhaust tower. When underway the suction of the Jet-Hub prop will tend to draw the discharged water down the mid-section and you might not see quite as much spray out the relief. As long as you've got decent flow from the telltale you're doing OK.

The acid test on these old Mercs (which have no thermostat), is to feel the exhaust manifold cover. If it's staying fairly cool after a few minutes of idling, you've got plenty of cooling water flowing thru the powerhead. And the cover shouldn't ever get so hot you can't touch it. Lukewarm usually unless it's right after a full-power run.

Enjoy your 9.8, they've got a lot of pep for a small engine and are excellent runners when in good tune.

Feed 'er good oil and non-alcohol fuel and it'll give you many more years of good service........ed

Back