Logo

Problems after replacing oil seal on lower unit

Mickeyfinn

Hello,

History. 1974 7.5 hp Mercury. Replaced seal that leaked and all went well, reverse and forward shifting was good before using. Got on the water and put in gear but would not reverse or forward. I did not do any thing to the shifting mechanism and upon checking spin on the prop by hand I hear some grinding. I assume I messed up when putting it all together. Before tearing down can you folks suggest what may have gone wrong?

Mickeyfinn

Did you make sure that the lower unit and shift lever were in the same gear just as you slid it together , yes or no ?

But did you confirm that the lower unit was in neutral and the shift lever was in neutral , yes or no ?

Okay, I again took apart in neutral and discovered the cover nut was not tightened properly and that caused slop between the gears. Checked the assembly and put together in neutral. pulled the starter to check forward and reverse engagement and all is well. Next question is when I counter turn prop in reverse it does not spin free as forward gear does as I feel compression of the cylinders. Is this normal? Before tank testing I want to see what you think.

Thanks for the reply

Yes, the dogs on the reverse gear are straight-cut and do not ratchet. Forward gear will ratchet in one direction only.

HTH & have fun on the water!

Back