Logo

1975 70hp model 70573E Starter questions???

Retired OG

Contributing Member
In looking at the various starters that are supposedly replacements for my old Prestolite 4110, I'm not seeing any of them that have the same 10 tooth drive gear as mine....is a 9 tooth ok? I'm also wondering if there are any mounting differences between say a Bosch and the Prestolite (both listed in the manual)...In other words, do any of the old motors have different mounting positions? I'd hate to order one only to have to turn around and send it back...

There are no differences in the mounting brackets... BUT... the bendix drives do not interchange between the two designs. If you purchase a Bosch, you need to order a bendix gear for that particular make starter.

There are no differences in the mounting brackets... BUT... the bendix drives do not interchange between the two designs. If you purchase a Bosch, you need to order a bendix gear for that particular make starter.

Thanks Joe...in looking at the schematics, I'm counting 11 teeth on the Bosch on some other models, I see 9, what I'm wondering is if these different tooth counts will mesh properly with my flywheel?

Straight from the OMC 1975 70hp parts book.....

Bendix gear for the:

Bosch starter = 384781

Prestolite = 385449 <--- Apparently no longer available

Straight from the OMC 1975 70hp parts book.....

Bendix gear for the:

Bosch starter = 384781

Prestolite = 385449 <--- Apparently no longer available

I think you're completely misunderstanding me...I want to buy a complete starter....does the tooth count matter? The list of compatible motors only goes back to 1980.

Yes the tooth count matters! What joe is saying is buy the starter motor seperately from the bendix to make sure you get the right parts.

Back