Logo

RXE-12 1964 will not start again

evem

Hi there,

New user here. Thanks in advance,

We tested the spark and to no avail. Checked the breaker points and replace coils.
There is still no spark?

The engine was running fine and the next day, it was completely dead...No spark
Tried to find other causes but could really use some help.

Thanks,

The harness is disconnected so the stop button is as well. All the wires look good. There is a push switch near one of the coils that gets pressed when you put it in gear.
Should I disconnect that?

There is a switch under the flywheel / magneto plate.----That switch prevents the starter motor from cranking if throttle is advanced too far.

Is the flywheel key sheared? That, and the kill circuit are about the only things that will make it lose spark on both cylinders at the same time. I understand you are saying it lost spark on both at the same time-----​before you messed with the coils and breaker points. As for after you messed with it, re-check your work.

Did you pull the armature plate to replace the coils? If not you need to revisit the coils. Take some pics of the bottom of the plate then pull it all apart you must fully insert the wire in the coil then slip the boot up tight then install the coil. If the boot is split it must be replaced.

The flywheel key is like new.
The way I am testing is by inserting a rope in the flywheel, giving it a good yank with both spark plugs out. The engine must do 3-4 full rotations. I only replaced 1 coil to see if that was the problem and re-checked the work.

The engine is out of the boat and the wire loom is not connected. Could this caause an issue?
Next will check if the flywheel still has magnetism? I'm thinking that this happened after a good storm and maybe it got shocked by some nearby lighting strike?

Why take the armature plate off? We were able to push the spark plug wire out and insert the coild properly by loosening the spark wire clamp near the coil.

Thanks for all the replies!!

Last edited:
Lightning? No way, never happen with this old stuff. I have seen this problem with oxidized or dirty points......but not overnight, unless it was out in the rain, or perhaps on the bottom of the lake. So what happened overnight? Points look good but you gotta check continuity with multi meter. Sometimes they are too worn to be simply cleaned.....you may need to replace them.....they are super inexpensive, next day from your auto parts store, from Sierra. I have replaced coils without stator plate removal, but you have to be extra careful to get wires pushed in correctly and secondary wire free from harm. Kill button wires just add to the clutter.
Points, brother, points......be sure to lube the verticle pin when you install them. .020.....exactly, at top of cam.....better option to check timing with multimeter. Check with Joe Reeves for procedure.

Back