Logo

225 ocean runner check engine and low power

Hydra-sport

I have a hydra sport vector 2000 cuddly cabin fishing boat that the check engine light will come for a short amount of time then cut back off. I have had the boat about 2 years but just not really getting the opportunity to use it. When I am full of gas then engine will not run over 4000 RPM. Once I reach half a tank or less I can sometimes run up to 4500 RPM but usually a little lower. The boat didn’t have spark a few weeks ago so I brought it to my mechanic for a quick fix for a Bahamas trip. He replaced the power pack, stator, and trigger. It had a small miss which he said was from sitting and that I should run the engine hard with sea foam. A long slow trip later, there is no miss and the engine sounds great now but the check engine light has began coming off and on since I got here and still won’t run over 4000 rpm. Does the engine not have enough power to push the boat with 70 or 80 gallons of fuel? Everyone around is saying I should run 30 mph but I am having a very hard time getting to 15. I replaced fuel filter and primer bulb the day before the trip. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would rather not cross back like this if possible.

The decals say 225 HP----But is it actually producing this power ?-----Use test prop or dynamometer on it.-------Or perhaps the prop on the motor is too much pitch.-----What prop is on it ?---Is the boat waterlogged ?----Compression test done?

Racerone has some great suggestions. Is there a constant warning horn with the check engine light? That sounds like a possible fuel restriction if so.

14.8 x 17 L is the numbers on the prop. I’m fairly certain it is a 225 as that’s the parts that the mechanic ordered for it but I highly doubt it’s putting out 225. I don’t think it’s even turning enough RPM’s to get to produce 225. I’m pretty limited in my tools at the moment so I can’t do a compression test until get home.

There isnt a horn or alarm going off with the check engine but from what I have read fuel restriction is the only thing that can cause the light to come on and I’m wandering if that could be why I can barely turn over 4000. I’ve read about a anti siphon valve I’m going to try to bypass and see if it helps.

Also what do you mean by waterlogged? There is a little water in the hull but not much there is always some in there. The bilge pump is directly under the entrance to the cuddy cabin, pretty far forward. It’s pumped everything out up to it but there is still a little water lower that I would think is fine but I honestly don’t know.

Ok so if there is an anti siphon valve then I don’t think it can be removed without removing the entire fuel tank cover. I’m going to go fill a jug with gas and try to run off that. However I am beginning to think the issue is with the fuel pump. The primer bulb takes a lot of pumping before it begins to get hard. When it does get hard and you try to pump it again, it sounds like there is fuel being pushed past the pump. It also drips from the pump but very slowly maybe a drop every 30 seconds. Primer slowly loses pressure. Pulled off front cover and pumped again to see if any fuel is coming past the carbs and there was only a few drops around the top carb that looked salty so I don’t think it was gas coming from it. I’m thinking the fuel pump is allowing fuel by?? Would this cause it to only run 4000 RPM’s??

Port side of engine, need to buy a shop manual, when you push in key a clicking should be heard on that solenoid, Acts like a chocke

I definitely will be buying a shop manual. I was told that pushing in the key was pretty much the same thing as a choke so I have been pushing it in before starting. Do you think this solenoid could cause my engine to not run high rpms? Do you think the choke/solenoid is stuck open? Thanks for the help. I’m out on the boat right now and just got it to run 4650 RPM and 23 knots but I’m very low on gas and only one other person in very calm water. Still took a long time to get there

this solenoid bypasses the carbs. by directing fuel straight to intake ports for cold starting, It will have no effect on wide open throttle. Are throttle plates opening up all the way,horizontal to carbs. Have asst. pump primer bulb while underway to compensate for fuel delivery restriction or weak fuel pump

I’m not sure if the throttles are opening all the way I will check them out. I just got off the water. At first it wouldn’t speed up past 4200 and I had my friend pump the ball but it didn’t seem to help at all. Then while running 4200 he said the ball began to get hard around the same time the check engine light came on so I slowed down. Still ran the same afterwards. I ran it about 4 miles opened it up to 4,800 and 23 knots. Slowed down again and couldn’t accelerate past 4000 before arriving to dock.

You should stop running this motor and do some testing / inspection.----If you have a plugged carburetor you could do serious damage to this engine.

Back