Logo

1985 force 85 hp carb question

Bwags98

Hi all I am new to the Forum. I just bought a 1985 Bayliner and it has a 85 horsepower Force outboard. when I went and looked at the boat it started up fine the guy had it in a 55 gallon bucket it ran prop turned everything look good. took it out on the water for the first time ran Flawless for about a half hour. we stopped swimmed for a little bit got back on the boat and it would not start. it would turn over but not fire. I took the cover off and noticed there are three carburetors well the bottom one there was fuel coming out of the weep hole on the left side of the carburetor. So we were dead in the water and had to get pulled back a half hour to the dock. so I just replaced the fuel line got a brand new ball and gas tank I have all three carbs off the boat now ordered rebuild kits but I am clueless as to how to rebuild one of these things or if it's even necessary. All I have done so far is took the linkages off and the bulbs I can see all three floats move freely. If anybody can put a link for a how to to rebuild one of these carb I would be greatly appreciated it or even if someone can just point me in the right direction of what usually needs replaced on these carbs and why there would be fuel coming out of the hole on the bottom carb. just for reference my engine is a 1985 force 856x5l and the number on the carb is 582061. Thanks guys. Hope someone can help.

Usually the carbs just need a good cleaning.
I use Dawn and hot water(in sink) and compressed air to dry.

The fuel leaking out the side is usually from a sticking float.

You might need a can of carb cleaner spray.
It removes the really crudded up spots.
DON'T use a carb soak.
It can actually do damage.

Install a filter between the fuel pump and the carbs.
Fram G-2 G-3 or G-12 one of these works great.
The fine particles can stick the float open.

The carb has a screw with a spring, it's for adjusting the air/fuel mix at idle.
Set it at 1 1/8th turn out from the bottom. GENTLY!! turn the screw in to the bottom.

Look on u-tube for a video called Linc and sync force outboards.

This might help: https://forums.iboats.com/forum/eng...ler-outboards/616464-carb-and-timing-tutorial

Back