Logo

Kicker motor stops running

Reelsalty

Today, I was trolling for salmon. For about 2 hours all is good. Then my 2006 15 hp Honda engine number BALJ1200339( with no prior history of problems) just shut down.Checked to see if out of fuel -no, tried to restart , but will not do so. Fuel is about 1 mo old in an auxiliary tank .

It is an electric start so went into cabin and while in neutral tried again to restart, no good. Left it in neutral and lifted the lever that allows me to run up the speed while in neutral . Started immediately and will continue running as long as I run it above 1500 rpm. run it down and motor kills, cant start or run engine. Changed to main tank but if I keep gas feed in neutral above 1500 rpm continues to run but not at lower speed.

Does it sound like something got into carb or does carb have a different problem?

Last edited:
Well, I am feeling good ,but a little dumb.

This morning I drove boat over to a dealer to look at. He said it would be 7-10 days before he could even look. i walked back to boat and glanced back at kicker motor in the up position. There is a stainless steel shroud around the propeller for protection. Jammed between the prop and the shroud is a thick piece of driftwood. Removed the driftwood and tried to start my motor and what do you know, IT WORKS!! Motor started and again runs perfectly. No cost to me and nobody , but you guys, know how unobservant I was.

Opps, I talked to soon. Kicker will run very well for an hour or two and then slowly idle down and shut off Worked fine while fishing and changed to main motor to go back to moorage. then after mooring started kicker to run fresh water thru it and ran for 4 minutes and idled down and shut off. Just seems very strange. Any thoughts?

Hi Reelsalty,
Question:
Does your engine have a black, cylindrical, rubber thing about 4" in length and about 2" in diameter attached to the engine oil dipstick tube?
If so, it will have a fuel line coming from the fuel pump and another line going to the carburetor.
That is called a fuel chamber and needs to be taken off and emptied every so often because they can get water trapped inside.
If yours doesn't have that, then you don't need to worry about that issue.

Back