Logo

1989 Trim Release Valve Replacement

matteden22

I am unable to remove the release valve to replace to O-Ring. It appears as though there is a bearing-style lock on the nut. Any clues on how to get the valve screw out?

Nut??.... There is no nut... look closer. You'll see a retaining ring set in a narrow groove that is designed to keep the release valve from backing out too far... supposedly so boaters don't drop them in 30' of water.

It take a tool with two points on it to compress that ring in order to remove it... however in a pinch, a ice pick or scribe might do the job but that usually destroys the clip ring for any future use.

That manual release valve should be turned out ONLY two turns so as NOT to back it up into that retaining ring which will surely cut it... Too late huh? :)

Snap ring pliers? Yup, got a guy waiting for me to fix his next. Too bad you retired, Joe. I could send you lots of work. Me? When I retire, I'm fishing off the pier. Watch the boats go by. Ever notice.....the bigger the boat, the smaller the bikini? Wife, Raquel, just laughs......"how you gonna catch fish if you dont concentrate"?.......that comes just before she kicks me! Guess that's why she always outfishes me....always.

Last edited:
timguy;619072[COLOR=#ff0000 said:
]Snap ring pliers? [/COLOR]Yup, got a guy waiting for me to fix his next. Too bad you retired, Joe. I could send you lots of work. Me? When I retire, I'm fishing off the pier. Watch the boats go by. Ever notice.....the bigger the boat, the smaller the bikini? Wife, Raquel, just laughs......"how you gonna catch fish if you dont concentrate"?.......that comes just before she kicks me! Guess that's why she always outfishes me....always.

Really strange Tim....... For the life of me, I could not remember the name of that retaining ring or the tool that removes/installs it.... and I have removed/installed two or three of those things in my day.

Thanks for the response @joereeves! Right, no nut, misspoke. And you're right, it was a bit late, but you live and learn. I got the retaining ring out (quite bent up, unfortunately) but the screw still won't back out. Does it come out at all, or does the replacement O-ring just go over the screw?

Matt... You don't say what engine you have (or I've overlooked it), but at any rate... If you have the PTT unit that has two trim rams, one tilt cylinder, and that manual release valve is indeed within a hole in the lower side of the starboard transom bracket.... then yes, that valve comes all the way out. That's the only way you'll ever get the O ring on or off.

Look closer... bet a very small piece of that snap ring is stuck in the groove yet.

Yeah... something's got to be blocking it. It should practically fall out UNLESS that unit is somehow installed off center with the bolt holes.... don't know how that's possible though.

Yeah... something's got to be blocking it. It should practically fall out UNLESS that unit is somehow installed off center with the bolt holes.... don't know how that's possible though.

Yes, it’s out! Got a retaining clip and o ring. Now I’m not sure how to get the clip in to that groove.

Yes, it’s out! Got a retaining clip and o ring. Now I’m not sure how to get the clip in to that groove.

It's a non needed item. Just remember that the valve is to be turned out two turns only when needed and you'll be just fine. To replace the snap ring, you'll need to buy a new one and a small size snap ring pliers to install it.

Count the turns when installing it... you'll see that two turns is no where near that fall out in 30' of water stage... however that choice is yours.

Back