Logo

Engine starts shuts off in idle position

Leon Pharo

Engine starts cold takes throttle good. In idle it slowly dies it needed a new accelerator pump it still does the same thing. It has a electric pump it will not restart. Kicks back when cranking

it would help those of us reading to know which engine you have....based on the token amount of data provided, I'd guess the issue is lack of adequate fuel - filters changed recently? fuel pressure checked?

Its a 350 crate 06 4160 holley carb i didn't get to involved with the question. After if shuts off and wont start it also doesnt have any spark.i put on a new coil that i had for my boat and it srarted up.we took off the old one put the new one in the right place and it wouldnt start. No spark. Weird?

Agreed....ignition switch, ballast resistor, harness connector are likely places....I'd be inclined to put a test light on the + coil terminal and verify loss of voltage when the engine cuts off...

Agreed....ignition switch, ballast resistor, harness connector are likely places....I'd be inclined to put a test light on the + coil terminal and verify loss of voltage when the engine cuts off...
Coil wire to ballast resistor is loose or bad. Remake new connections.

Just heard from the owner. It will not start at all. I'm 130 miles away from the boat. I'm taking all your suggestions when i get down there. Thanks to everybody who answered my thread

Back