Logo

Alpha drive power steering question

awculero

I recently acquired a 1985 898 in a 19' 4Winns bowrider. It has power steering. It wanders significantly at idle/no wake speeds. I understand that to some extent this is the nature of the beast, but have been looking into it to see if there's anything I can do to optimize it.

One thing I noticed while correcting the steering cable guide tube protrusion adjustment is that when I cycle the steering wheel side to side with the engine on (i.e., with power assist), the actuator valve assembly moves fore and aft about 4 to 6 inches. This is not in the side to side direction that the steering cable is moving, it is back toward the transom and forward toward the bow.

The previous owner had the transom and hull stringers rebuilt, so the entire powertrain and steering were R&R'ed.

My question is, should the steering actuator valve assembly be mounted with a bracket to the transom to prevent the fore and aft motion I am noticing, or is that normal?

the parts of the power steering cylinder should NOT be moving that much. The guide tube maybe a 1/4 inch back and forth

.." It wanders significantly at idle/no wake speeds. I understand that to some extent this is the nature of the beast, but have been looking into it to see if there's anything I can do to optimize it. "

The "Mercruiser Boogie"--infuriating, isn't it? Even with a boat and outdrive in perfect condition it will do that. Always thought that, dragging one of a set of trim tabs, might cure that but never got a chance to see.

Jeff

That wander is a combination of hull design issues and prop pitch. As slow speeds, the side thrust of a high pitch prop will tend to "walk" the stern drive ( and hence the boat) in the direction of prop rotation...as the boat moves forward, water forces on the keel will tend to straighten it out... as boat straightens, the sideways corrective force of the boat's motion on the hull reduces, and the sideways force of the prop takes over.... repeat. Most attempts to correct this by the pilot, since they take place AFTER the hull moves and tend to be over corrective, worsen the effect.

Counterrotating props reduce this effect significantly, whether in multi engine & prop or multi (bravo 3, duoprop) configuration.

Back