Logo

8v92 silver series detroit twin turbo

ladyhawk

Hi having trouble with my 8v92 starts right up without cranking more than 2 seconds. smokes till it warms up. i run it under load ,when i get it up to 1200 rpms is smokes black, check all filters emer shut down on the blower.all good removed intercooler found right turbo nice and clean left turbo pipe fill with black oil . had to clean out intercoolers then ran it under load again, same problem. can it be leaking inside the turbo seal????

Yes, it can have a seal leaking in the turbo. There are two, one on turbine wheel side and one on the compressor wheel side.

You say it smokes until warmed up but then you say it smokes black at 1200rpm (and above?)

That makes sense. If you are at idle, the oil pressure is much lower (20 psi or so) and rises as the rpms increase (60 to 70psi) feeding much more oil to the turbo to leak through the seal and overfuel the engine through the intake.

Did you check that the turbo was spinning freely? Smoke starting at 1200rpm would be a classic symptom of a sticking turbo spool on many engines. Pretty common thing to happen where corrosion on the inside of the turbo exhaust housing jams the vanes. Then you get lack of air and black smoke issues with loss of power.

Back