Logo

Water in cylinders 7.4 L

joed49

This season one of the engines stopped because of water in the cylinders. No damage but I'm wondering where the water came from.

The boat is a 3300 Tiara Flybridge with closed cooling. Any ideas what is going bad? I'm guessing either elbows or risers or possibly the muffler? The engine sounds louder then the other side so I'm wondering if the baffles have come out of the muffler.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be positive about your declaration regarding the health of the engine.

I would suspect the elbow....the 'louder' feature could be due to cooling water not flowing into the exhaust....

when were the elbows last replaced?

The engines have been maintained quite well. No water in the oil and antifreeze holds steady. Below is what the setup looks like.

lS6nxhDh.jpg

Very pretty, HOWEVER...the exhaust elbows on any engine are relatively short lived, even on a "fresh water" cooled engine like yours. They degrade from the inside... One common cause of poor water flow in the elbows is the failure to find and remove all the pieces of a damaged raw water pump impeller. Raw water flow on a "fresh water cooled" engine is very straight forward... enters boat, raw water pump, oil cooler (if equipped), heat exhanger .... exits via elbows.

Last edited:
Elbows? My intuition is it that engine failure is caused by risers and not elbows and I just changed both risers and elbows. I recommended to a friend ove the last 10 years that he should also do his. But no.......now he has an engine with zero compression in two cylinders. But back to the elbows. It appears to me that if one failed, at least on a Crusader the raw cooling water would just mix with the exhaust gases near to the elbow top rather than the bottom.

Back