Logo

General Recoil Starter Question

flyfishingken

Hey all! Bought a new 20hp Tohatsu and it runs great. Pretty happy with everything. I had a quick question on the starter system. It’s a slow to fast pull start system. But sometimes if I pull to fast the pull cord will stop and generally slip right out of my hand and kick back to the engine. I am used to a slightly bigger motor so probably pull a bit to hard. I have sense figured out how to start it smoothly but I’m concerned I may have caused a bit of damage from pulling it to hard? Is that even possible?

Thanks all

Doubtful. You could pull the starter rope out of the handle...
With the EFI motors, pull completely -- use all the rope -- at moderate speed, and expect to pull twice to prime the high pressure fuel system, and charge the ignition. Then pull a little faster (normally), for the next 1 or two pulls until it starts.

Doubtful. You could pull the starter rope out of the handle...
With the EFI motors, pull completely -- use all the rope -- at moderate speed, and expect to pull twice to prime the high pressure fuel system, and charge the ignition. Then pull a little faster (normally), for the next 1 or two pulls until it starts.

That’s what I figured. I will try with your advice! Thanks.

Back