Logo

OMC 5.7 Liter Overheating

paulrogert

Hi all, I just removed the impeller thanks to a couple of threads here, it looks like my dogs have been chewing on it for a few days. I plan on replacing the water pump as well, which certainly doesn't look like a pump to me, but what do I know. Silly question, aside from the engine overheating, could the rubber fragments from the impeller do any damage to the engine... Hooked up a hose and it started to overheat pretty darn quick, I believe when it was just idling in neutral, and also when I put it in gear. There was no smoke or oil leakage. You think replacing the water pump and impeller should fix the overheating issue... Don't really know too much about these engines. I can tell you its a beast and can't wait to get it on the water :) Thanks in advance for any help.

Then its time to learn .Fragments can clog the system up but sometimes removing the drive and backflushing removes them. You can also remove the drive and run it on a hose inserted into the water inlet hole

Is this a Cobra drive (drive had trim rams like a Merc or Volvo sx) or a stringer drive (big boot on transom that drive sticks thru)? When doing one on a Cobra you should replace the wear plate and make sure the cage in the housing has not shifted. Sometimes from an overheat the cage will shift and the housing can melt and distort a bit. In that case you should replace the whole thing. I like to use a thick marine grease like OMC triple guard to hold that o ring gasket for the housing in place it works better than gasket sealer....

Is this a Cobra drive (drive had trim rams like a Merc or Volvo sx) or a stringer drive (big boot on transom that drive sticks thru)? When doing one on a Cobra you should replace the wear plate and make sure the cage in the housing has not shifted. Sometimes from an overheat the cage will shift and the housing can melt and distort a bit. In that case you should replace the whole thing. I like to use a thick marine grease like OMC triple guard to hold that o ring gasket for the housing in place it works better than gasket sealer....

Yes it says cobra on the prop, I'm going to have to google what you said to find the wear plate and cage housing shifting, I don't know too much about motors but am learning quickly and enjoying it. Thank you for the advice.

Back