Logo

BF 200 codes

rporche

Another newbie here. I have a Honda 200 that I started getting intermittent alarm at idle. Up to now it resets with the switch. I followed advice from a post a few years ago and shunted together 2 wires (Black and lime green) from the red connector on the front of the engine. If I am reading it correctly it is returning a value of 14. That is one longer light followed by 4 shorter blinks.

Can someone please let me know what that code represents. Thanks everyone for any assistance

Richard

Often times it just needs cleaning at the orifice. The IAC sits on top of the starboard side , just above the intake manifold. See item 15 at the link below.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda...00hp/bf200ak0-la-2007-and-later/throttle-body

To test (according to shop manual):

Disconnect the 2-p connector and measure resistance between the two terminals coming from the sensor. It should be between 8 - 12 ohms. If not, replace.

Then check for continuity between each of the sensor terminals and ground. If continuity on either, replace the sensor.

There are additional tests for the wiring from the sensor to the ECU, but the above should get you straight.

Many Thanks
I have been staring at this laptop for a long time trying to figure out my next step. I will do the ohms test. I remember your name now from the BF225 post that was very helpful in getting me to this point. Thanks again!

Well no luck with cleaning the IAC valve ports. They were very dirty, but when I went to launch for a test run I didn't get away from the ramp before I got an alarm (twice). I came home installed the shunt and now it is giving a series of equal blinks 3-5 seconds apart. Appears to be an O2 as I read from earlier post.

Last year I was getting different alarms that were clearly wrong. The dealer worked on it charging me 8 hours of labor with no parts. In the end he said it was a problem with the ground which apparently is common between different sensors. I put 30 hours on it since then with no issues. The dealer called it "chasing spooks" and advised that I buy a new engine. This engine is a 2002 and has 358 hours on it.

I am looking at the wiring diagram but I am unable to locate all the grounds.

Any thoughts?
Do I have to take off the lower covers?

I am thinking I should locate the grounds and clean them again

Yes, a "1" blink every 2 seconds or so indicates a POSSIBLE HO2 sensor failure. BUT it could also be a misfiring plug or coil, or fuel pressure out of spec. If you have access to a fuel pressure gauge, you should check the fuel pressure at the pressure relief bolt on the cover to the HP fuel filter. It should read 41 - 48 psi at idle.

Pull your plugs and inspect. If they are all covered in black soot, that's an indicator that the HO2 sensor may have failed. Replacement is $173.00 on Boats.net. I think the PN is 35655-ZY3-013.

As for tracking down possible bad grounds - that is indeed chasing down spooks. However, the first place to look is the ground pins on each of the plugs going into the ECU. If you have the Helm Shop Manual, look on pages 5-10 to 5-12. Unplug each of the connectors, and check for corrosion or a bent-broken pin. Clean/fix as needed.

According to the Helm manual....

On the 26 pin connector, it is pin #1 (green/black wire) is logic ground 1and pin #20 (green/black wire) is logic ground 2.

On the 34 pin connector, it is pin #9 (green/red wire) sensor ground 1 and pin #34 (green/red wire) sensor ground 2.

On the 11-pin connector, it is pin #8, (green wire) power ground.

I don't have the Helm manual. I have a subscription to the Seloc online manual. I am still trying to navigate around it.

I will pull the plugs to inspect and I will check around for a fuel pressure gauge. I am glad to see the $173. price tag for a sensor, I think Honda was $302. Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

Richard

Forget the Seloc - too many errors and omissions.

Here is a link to an online Helm manual in PDF format. It's a pain to use, but gets you to the info you need. I think some Brits did this.

http://planbmarine.com/wp-content/u...ice-workshop-and-repair-BF175A-BF200A-BF2.pdf

Page down to page 114- 116, which is the same a 5-10 to 5-12 in the manual.

Most of the folks on this forum are exceptionally helpful and willing to work with anyone who is sincere about keeping these great engines working well.

Great advice on the Helm manual....Actually on everything!
In review:
I cleaned the air control valve (it cleared the code with just cleaning)
Installed new plugs
Installed a new HO2 sensor
Cleared the codes again
Test Run up to 4K rpm's
Came back to idle for 5-6 minutes (where the original alarm was going off)
And all worked well with no alarms.
Many thanks to all that offered sage advice especially CHawk
Richard

I´m having exactly the same issue as rporche on the port engine. Which valve is the Air Control Valve, is it the Idle Control Valve, item 15?

Thanks.

It's actually called the IAC - Idle Air Control. See attached.

View attachment 21524

Thank you CHawk, will let you know how it goes. Engine works perfectly well but get the alarm a minute after startup. Switching engine off and on again clears the warning most of the time. Flash code 1, also looked it up with the Honda app, O2 sensor, swapped sensors and remains the same. Could be the ECM but I suspect the O2 sensor is doing it´s job and sensing wrong air mix.

Will let you know.

Best regards.

Back