Logo

1o88 75hp mariner. Power trim issues

Hunterdan777

Hey... New to The Forum and also new to the boat owning world as well.LOL

I recently purchased an 1985 Sylvan with a 1988 3 cylinder 75 Horse Mariner. The power trim worked just fine when I bought it 2 months ago. Now I have issues.. it does not always want to tilt up and down. it will work when it wants to. when it does go out I have to let it sit for quite a while and then it will work a little bit again and then stop. As of the last two days it won't go up and down at all. I don't have a tilt switch on the motor itself either. I'm assuming the 3 solenoids are bad. any suggestions or thoughts on this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.
Dan

Do you hear the solenoids click when activated? May have to remove the cover to hear them!
If no click, check for power.... Should have batt. voltage on the big red wire all the time... and
power at the small wire when triggered. Blue is up... Green is down

Do you hear the solenoids click when activated? May have to remove the cover to hear them!
If no click, check for power.... Should have batt. voltage on the big red wire all the time... and
power at the small wire when triggered. Blue is up... Green is down

Ok great thanks.... I'm actually going to work on it tonight my solenoids work good when I hotwire them so I don't think it's getting power to the switch. I appreciate the reply

No... from what you are saying, the solenoids are working!
my solenoids work good when I hotwire them
So, you probably
have a blown fuse! Look on the side of the block for a fuse holder... I think that's the one that sends power to the shifter.

No... from what you are saying, the solenoids are working! So, you probably
have a blown fuse! Look on the side of the block for a fuse holder... I think that's the one that sends power to the shifter.

Thanks for the reply.. I did pull out the fuse and it is in perfect working order

Get a test light and check for power at both ends of the fuse holder... then trace the wire to the shifter and check there! If power is
going in, check if it's coming out. No power going in... run a new fused circuit!

Okay ran a bunch of tests... power goes all the way back to the solenoids I tested it with a light... So I am assuming that the solenoids are bad. Correct?

A very bad assumption !!-----Just think, what are the chances of 2 quality solenoids failing at the same time ??

Okay... I understand that it is an assumption.. I am new to motor repairs on boats. But with my luck it wouldn't surprise me. LOL. But then explain to me what it means if you would be so kind

Lets start again! With a test light... check for power at the large terminal on the solenoid (red wire) Should be hot all the time! If you have power there (both solenoids)
with ignition ON, test for power at the green (or blue) wire when triggered. If no power anywhere.... bad ground!

I did what you asked... have power on both.... tested the blue wire and green wire ... both turned on the light when triggered... by the way thank you for your help

Motor for the trim pump!

Ok..but when I touch a wire to the positive and negative on one of the solenoids, I can get it to go up or down depending on which solenoid I use I touch the big nuts. I wish I could send a picture it's not letting me. Does that mean the trim motor could still be potentially bad

Back