Logo

Fuel Consumption Monitors

MarinerGuy

Who else makes a fuel consumption monitor besides Flo-Scan. Their phone just keeps ringing (no answering machine)and they don't answer e-mails?

How much are you willing to spend? You can convert all analog info into digital and monitor with a chart plotter/fish finder. If your engine has dual fuel lines (fuel injected) you need two flow sensors to monitor effeciency.

It seems nothing is ever easy when it comes to boats. It does have dual fuel lines which I will trace but the second must be a return line. I've been looking at "Fox Marines MEFI NMEA 2000 Engine Gateways" where you take/read the info from the engine ECMs but part #s on my ECMs don't match their listing so I don't know which MEFI class (4 choices) mine are. Also my chart plotter MFD is NMEA 0183 so that will require cabling to convert. I'm starting to miss the Volvo diesels I my last boat.

If I am not mistaken you may be able to add the fuel flow sensers to your existing chartplotter with a software upgrade? Does it have a ethernet port on the back to connect to a computer? The computer calculates the difference betwee supply and return flow rates for actual fuel used.

It is my understanding electronic ignitions are already digital all you need is the loop (backbone) and flash the computer? Does your plotter have a dashboard?

Actually, the gateway just translates the ECU bus data from its native protocol to the NEMA (or another) protocol....

If you want actual fuel consumption, you need to monitor the fuel flow directly. If you just tap into the ECU's data, you will get the commanded flow rate....which is usually accurate until something goes wrong (injector leaking). All depends upon what you want. Its not difficult, its just time consuming to sort thru it all.

Another issue is your TBI setup is obsolete and was only used for a few years - so, there aren't a lot of viable options for the 'old' stuff. You should be able to find the GM part number on the 'back' of the ECU. Having that will let you positively know which version you have and what it does/doesn't monitor and will let you make a 'better choice' in defining your upgrade path.

One problem is I pulled the starboard ECU early this week and it doesn't have a GM (7 digit) part # and I can't find a cross reference. This is what the sticker says
Crusader Engines
CM 350 HT XLI
In 1998 (two years after my engines were manufactured) Crusader was acquired by the Pleasurecraft® Marine Engine Company. They still list carbureted and MPI engines but no info anywhere on the TBI ones.

I have hadNO luck finding any info on these TBI engines. It’s like they never existed. Ican’t find HP? Oil capacity or grade? Timing? Even the Sierra oil filter has aslightly different part # number from the one specified by Sierra?
I alsohave very little experience with TBI. Back (many years ago) when I was anautomotive technician ( we were called mechanics back then) our dealership wentfrom carbs to MPI – never had TBI. I actually never saw one until I became aDodge/Chrysler parts manager.

Probably won't be ethernet but one of the NEMA busses on the electronics - check the owner's manual to see what they support.

That's the crusader part number - may wanna check the other engine....if not, the connector orientation on the ECU will give you insight into the MEFI-x type it is...

As far as a manual goes, the best thing to suggest is to try to find a copy of Mercruiser Service Manual #24. It will cover the same base GM standard production marine engine - just in different dress (bolt-ons) and will be something vs what you have now....

The TBI aspects - biggest issue is there isn't any Schrader valve to monitoring pressure supplied to the injectors....there's an auto service tool but its a PITA to use....there are a few shops that can rebuild the whole unit - or supply you parts - just another www search.

Back