Logo

Trim tab trouble

footbrake

Contributing Member
On my 1983 Chris Craft Catalina 251 which I purchased Last spring, the previous owner told me the trim tabs weren't working. I didn't bother with them last year or most of this year but had a chance for a marine mechanic to take a look. Well found the fuse blown, at the switch, so we put another fuse in and filled the fluid and hit the switch. At the pump we had a spark and puff of smoke and blew another fuse.

Seeing the trim tabs last year the hinges was looking pretty corroded, we're thinking that they may be frozen causing the pump to draw to much and blow the fuse.

The marine mechanic just messaged me and said that after thinking about today,with the puff of smoke and spark, and blowing another fuse, that it may really be the pump and not the trim tabs. What do you guys think? Thanks-Russ

,with the puff of smoke and spark, and blowing another fuse, that it may really be the pump

Ayuh,...... He's most likely Right,.... Ya usually don't get sparks, 'n smoke from an overloaded motor,.....

Back