Logo

Running a 2GM20F Without Alternator Belt

mjl7245

Good Morning,

The alternator belt on my 16HP Yanmar 2GM20F snapped and I'm waiting for a replacement to come in. I would like to use the boat in the meantime, though. Assuming I have enough charge on the batteries to get it started, does anyone see any issues with running then engine without the alternator belt? Thanks very much.

Regards,

Matt

Good Morning,

The alternator belt on my 16HP Yanmar 2GM20F snapped and I'm waiting for a replacement to come in. I would like to use the boat in the meantime, though. Assuming I have enough charge on the batteries to get it started, does anyone see any issues with running then engine without the alternator belt? Thanks very much.

Regards,

Matt

Depends on several factors Matt..
Without alternator you're at the mercy of the charge held in your battery at the moment the belt snapped. This means the charge will be constantly depleted without being recharged... Rate of depletion depends on how much charge is being used by electric components you might be using on the boat such as water pumps, lights and perhaps coolers for drinks or fridge etc. Additionally a huge amount of charge is drained every time you start the engine, not to mention parasitic charge that may be lost due to shorts or faulty Electric equipment. Thus you're risking ending up draining the battery and remaining stranded... How long this will take depends on the factors mentioned above. I used to have an alternator problem due to which batteries weren't recharging (same as having no belt) and used to need recharged every month.. But i had two batteries and used to shut off power supply main switch after use to make sure no charge was wasted....

Back