Logo

Honda BF 225 problem

Radical

Hi ,I got a strange problem with my engine.
It starts easily and after a couple minutes idling, you can heat a slight rev shifting, and the lamp and signal goes on, indicating code 41.
If i start again and start going, it works fine, until i put the gear to neutral and start idling.
Anybody?

Not sure what a code 41 is but, if the audible alarm is one second on and one second off, then my guess would be the O2 sensor.
The change in revs is the ECU putting the engine into a failover mode which is on the rich side.

Not sure what a code 41 is but, if the audible alarm is one second on and one second off, then my guess would be the O2 sensor.
The change in revs is the ECU putting the engine into a failover mode which is on the rich side.
Thank you metal-chicken, i will try change the O2 sensor, and see if it dissapear

Metal-Chicken is likely correct. Code 41 is typically the the HO2 heater circuit. However, it could also be due to a faulty spark plug or fuel pressure out of spec.

When is the last time you changed plugs?

Before changing out that expensive HO2 sensor, pull your plugs. If they are all sooty, then it will be fuel pressure or the HO2 sensor. If only one or two are sooty, then suspect those plugs. Check your fuel pressure at the pressure relief bolt on top of the HP fuel filter cover. It should be between 41 and 48 psi at idle.

.... And if the plugs look normal it might still be the O2 sensor!

(Although it may be fuel pressure)

My theory is that it's quick and easy (if not particularly cheap) to swap out the O2 sensor - if the issue goes away then you're done, but it it stays then at least you've got a spare O2 sensor for future use.

I'm currently trying a non-oem sensor which costs half the Honda one and so far it's working okay.

Time will tell.

Last edited:
Thank you guys, as far as i know the plugs never been changed (500h), and all 6 is slightly sooty.
The strange thing is that the fault appear allmost at the second every time, even if you have been driving in high speed for hours and put it in neutral, after 2,5 minutes idling the warning goes of.

Back