Logo

1973 chrysler 85hp outboard no spark to any cylinder!

The towershaft is where you set the idle up.
There is a screw with a locking nut.
Back off the nut and turn the screw in to raise the idle.

the one located towards the bottom. it is a arm with a pivot ball end cap fits onto the lowest carb arm pivot ball. i pull the end cap off the ball and turn it out then adjust the holding nut so it can't back off. is that right? the only other screw and locking nut is on top for the timing i think. your not saying to turn that one right?

That's the one!!

it passed the pressure test. so after some struggling with the lower unit lining up the shaft, water pump and shift rod i finally got it back on in place. i refilled the gear oil and then i also did adjust the throttle adjustment but haven't tested it so im hoping to go today to test it a bit. i will let you know how it goes. thanks for all the help i could not have done these jobs without you and i would have had to sell it. thank you jerry thank you also nordin

Glad to help.
Keep us posted.

sure i will. i am unfortunately still waiting for a good day to get it out on the water it has been raining every day and only 50 degrees outside. it is going to be up in the 70s tomorrow so thats my plan to go test it tomorrow. im a bit exited and a bit nervous i sure hope all the issues are worked out now and i think they are. only the idle is left:D

sure i will. i am unfortunately still waiting for a good day to get it out on the water it has been raining every day and only 50 degrees outside. it is going to be up in the 70s tomorrow so thats my plan to go test it tomorrow. im a bit exited and a bit nervous i sure hope all the issues are worked out now and i think they are. only the idle is left:D

well it is still flooded here but i did get the boat down to the river and even though i couldn't get the boat off the trailer i was able to get the motor water intake below the water so i tested it a bit sitting on the trailer still. so i was really wanting to see it stay running and be able to shift into gear without dying. it did but i do think i need to turn the throttle arm out another turn it was good and i shifted into gear forward and reverse. and the oil seal stayed good. im hoping to get out this next weekend atleast once before winter after working on it all summer long. thanks again for all your kind help i couldn't have done this alone for sure. i will post a video when i can of it running on the water and shoot a link so you can see it. it runs so good and wow is it fast!

The older Chrysler's ARE fast.
The 85 set a speed record and held it for a long time.
Set on a race boat it got to 85mph.

That's fast on a 15ft.

Chryslers and Force, they were said to have the best power to weight ratio of any outboard in the 70/80's

Enjoy your motor.

A couple of things:
Make sure the fuel recirc system (looks like a big dog bone, it has screens that get clogged with carbon) is clear and the plenum is on and the hose on the bottom is hooked.to the nipple under the bottom carb. This is part of the recirc system.

Make sure the props the right one.
Tach or buy a Tiny Tach and make sure the rpms at wide open are in the right area. 52-5500

Last edited:
The older Chrysler's ARE fast.
The 85 set a speed record and held it for a long time.
Set on a race boat it got to 85mph.

That's fast on a 15ft.

Chryslers and Force, they were said to have the best power to weight ratio of any outboard in the 70/80's

Enjoy your motor.

A couple of things:
Make sure the fuel recirc system (looks like a big dog bone, it has screens that get clogged with carbon) is clear and the plenum is on and the hose on the bottom is hooked.to the nipple under the bottom carb. This is part of the recirc system.

Make sure the props the right one.
Tach or buy a Tiny Tach and make sure the rpms at wide open are in the right area. 52-5500

hey ok i finally got it out on the river. but it seemed it was a bit slower than the test day? i say i was about 5- 10 miles a hour slower i don't know why though as i didnt change anything i only turned the throttle arm which seemed to work it stayed running now and shifted into gear without dying after it warmed up. it ran great smooth sounded good but why would it be not as fast? is there another adjustment for the carbs i can open up more?

No high speed adjustment screws.
When the throttle is all the way forward.
Look at the arm that pushes on the black roller on the side of the carb.
Can that roller be pushed further by hand ??

The butterfly's on the carbs should be about or just past level at wide open.
You didn't change anything? Prop the same?
You overload the boat?
An extra person, cooler, a dog or 2 can make a difference.

No high speed adjustment screws.
When the throttle is all the way forward.
Look at the arm that pushes on the black roller on the side of the carb.
Can that roller be pushed further by hand ??

The butterfly's on the carbs should be about or just past level at wide open.
You didn't change anything? Prop the same?
You overload the boat?
An extra person, cooler, a dog or 2 can make a difference.

i did not change anything at all only the throttle arm position. and it did have a tiny bit of water from the rain i saw and drained after the ride. maybe the water was extra weight i didn't think it would be that much slower from that little bit though. oh well it ran great i will figure it out it is the least of worries. i was looking and could not find the air oil mixture screw you spoke of ? where is that located? do i need to remove the air filter cover to get to it? would it maybe help to give it more air?

The AIR/FUEL mix screw is on the top front of the carbs,
If you still have the cover/plenum over the carbs?
The cover has a hole for each carb, the screw can be accessed through the front.
Find a parts breakdown of your motor and look at the carb.

This is for LOW SPEED air/fuel, this does nothing other than make it run smooth
at an idle.
To adjust, turn the screw in"GENTLY!!!!!!" till it just bottoms out then back
out 1 and 1/8th turn.
Then run the motor, get it warm and go for a ride.
As you idle in f gear turn top screw in till the motor bucks,coughs or stalls.
Then turn the screw back out 1/2 turn.
Repeat on all 3 carbs.
I usually do this twice.

Like I said there is no high speed adjustment.
If the throttle is in F and you can push the black roller with your finger??
Then the linkage needs adjusting.

Back