Logo

DF2.5 high pitched noise

SeppoTaalasmaa

Hello fellow outboarders!

I got a new Suzuki DF2.5 (2018 model) which makes weird high-pitched noise while in gear at certain rpm range.
The motor has been used for about two hours, mostly in low rpm range where the noise is not present.

The noise is not present at all while in neutral gear. While in gear, the noise starts after the throttle is increased to 20 % of the maximum.

I recorded a video about the noise and posted it on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxiBB8BjF3w).
The high-pitched noise starts after 6 seconds on the video.

I would really appreciate if someone could figure out what could be the cause for this high-pitched noise? Perhaps a faulty bearing?

As iang6766 mentioned it is hard to tell from the video but if your 2018 model has the alloy propeller it may well be caused by harmonics coming from the propeller. This has been apparent on larger engines in the past and to overcome this metal would have to be removed from the propeller itself. The noise shouldn't do any harm and probably after hitting the sand a few times the noise may go away. Take it back to the dealer and let them sort it as it's under warranty.

Thanks for your replies.

Yes, the propeller is aluminium alloy. I did a new test and ran the engine without the propeller while in gear and the high-pitched noise was not present.
So it is possible that the propeller itself is the cause, but it is also possible that the high-pitched noise is not caused by the propeller but the noise is only present when the engine is loaded with the propeller.

I have watched about twenty videos about this outboard motor and I have recognised similar high-pitched noise only in two of those videos, so the same problem seems to be present in some portion of these units.

Back