Logo

question on v drive fluid

realcaptron

Regular Contributor
I've got late 70's vintage crusaders with Thermo Electron transmissions and Thermo Electron v-drives.
All the fluids look very clean but I want to add a tiny amount of fluid to my port side v drive. I will try to attach pics here of the tag and the v drive. There is a dipstick on forward end of v drive, but I'm not sure where to add fluid. There is a hex head plug on the top of the v drive that I am assuming is where I should pour fluid in but want to be sure. Is it??? Also, the tag on the drive specs 90# lube if you can pick that up in the pic.

Attachments

• 20180726_125710.jpg
    20180726_125710.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 20180726_125718.jpg
    20180726_125718.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 76
My read on the tag is APG90 gear oil.....vs any 90 weight gear oil....and it looks like it was made by Warner, for Thermo-Electron.

As far as insertion point, the dipstick hole is fine.

My read on the tag is APG90 gear oil.....vs any 90 weight gear oil....and it looks like it was made by Warner, for Thermo-Electron.

As far as insertion point, the dipstick hole is fine.
I can always count on you, Mark. I'm guessing the APG90 translates to "all purpose gear" 90??? I will hunt some down. Yes, I could add it thru dipstick if I had to. I was hoping that hex head on top is a fill plug. Any idea on how to track down a manual or drawing on these old trannys and v drives? I've googled the Thermo Electron serial number but coming up empty. Maybe another member on forum has info on these vintage guys.

My V-Drives are circa 1990 and the fill hole (hex bolt) is on the right hand side, (looking forward to the bow of the boat) of each drive. I use a local brand of 90 oil. Just be careful and do not overfill the drives.

My complaint is that the drain plug is very difficult to get at and not much room for a drain pan !!!

I have a spare V-drive as well and I don't really know why I still have it...The Warner Drives are very dependable.

My V-Drives are circa 1990 and the fill hole (hex bolt) is on the right hand side, (looking forward to the bow of the boat) of each drive. I use a local brand of 90 oil. Just be careful and do not overfill the drives.

My complaint is that the drain plug is very difficult to get at and not much room for a drain pan !!!

I have a spare V-drive as well and I don't really know why I still have it...The Warner Drives are very dependable.

thanks willow...do you by any chance have a pic of your v drive? do you notice the large hex on the top left side of mine in photo? btw, so far (only owned the boat for the past 18 months of its 40 year life but it is performing great (other than some weird smoke it exhausted only once and for only a couple minutes a week ago). The trans and v drives appear to great. Fluids look like new and they are noise free.

furn 012.jpgfurn 013.jpgfurn 014.jpg

Be great if I remembered left from right...:rolleyes: the hex bolt /fill hole is on the left side. All the other pieces are those that come with the drive.

The common descriptor is a crusader 4500 v-drive. I found an entry in a 2003 owner's manual that cites 80W-90 gear oil is acceptable.

The service manual for the gear has been NLA for a while...I couldn't find anything in the service manuals I have for that V-drive...or the owners manuals....There is a place out there in SoCal that 'specializes' in V-drives - they may be willing to share what data they have wrt maintenance, etc...SBMAR.com

The common descriptor is a crusader 4500 v-drive. I found an entry in a 2003 owner's manual that cites 80W-90 gear oil is acceptable.

The service manual for the gear has been NLA for a while...I couldn't find anything in the service manuals I have for that V-drive...or the owners manuals....There is a place out there in SoCal that 'specializes' in V-drives - they may be willing to share what data they have wrt maintenance, etc...SBMAR.com

thanks Mark. I will check it out.

There is a part number on the outside back cover....but I can't seem to find a .pdf of the manual..

Part No. 94223

Good hunting....:cool:

I found a couple www links that had what appears to be the same manual,,,but with a different part number....

I can turn pics into PDFs.......

I can turn pics into PDFs.......

Not sure what you mean...do you want a copy of this manual or have you found a link where you can download the manual?
Not a big deal to send you photocopies of the complete manual.

5 years later, and this thread is so exciting, but such a tease! Is there any chance someone out there has that manual and could share it with me? Ideally, attach it here for anyone else whose search leads them here. TIA!

5 years later, and this thread is so exciting, but such a tease! Is there any chance someone out there has that manual and could share it with me? Ideally, attach it here for anyone else whose search leads them here. TIA!
Same here. I have the Owner's Manual for the 4500 but I'd love to have a copy of the Service Manual as well. Anyone?

Same here. I have the Owner's Manual for the 4500

You posted that you have the owners manual.........Is the cover page the same as the photo I posted of my 4500 Manual??
That is the only 4500 Manual that came with my boat . I do not have a 4500 Manual entitled SERVICE MANUAL

Hi Don - my manual just says Owner's Manual but, from the Table of Contents, it appears that they contain the same information. I appreciate you responding.

Back