Logo

Chrysler 318 Raw Water Cooled- Cooling flowpath

DaytonNelson

I really did search extensively to see if my situation has been discussed and I dont think so.

BLUF: I cant figure out if this flow path is correct. Could someone take a look at the pics and see if it's good?

It overheated the last time I had it out, but I changed the thermostat to a 143F (not sure what was in there before)- I haven't op-tested the new thermostat- thought I'd double check with you guys to see if the raw water flow path was ok. I've looked at diagrams and the manual, but this thing has had more mods than Cher. No oil cooler is present (should it have one?)

It's a 1970 21' Chrysler Marine Carvel 318. I took on this project for $300. The seller knew NOTHING about it and wouldn't call me back after I needed a title for the trailer. Not sure if it even ran- it was last licensed in 2001.

Rebuilt the starter, alternator, and carb. New battery and voltage regulator. Tank-Renu went through the gas tank. Fuel pump cleaned up and pumps great. Bunch of trailer work. Dual pocket water pump looks good inside- rubber is soft and not chewed up. Cylinder compression checks. Replaced the gaskets on the exhaust manifolds (log type). Engine sounds like King Kong on the Chrysler Building. It just overheats.

Thoughts?

Dayton in Minnesota

Attachments

• IMG_3249.jpg
    IMG_3249.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3247.jpg
    IMG_3247.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3245.jpg
    IMG_3245.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 49