Logo

Parts recognition Force 35hp 90/91

Force4me

Hi! Im new here and from Sweden. Got an old used Force 35hp cheap in parts. Engine runs but the lower end was taken apart when i got it. So I changed the water pump but im not sure about how to put it together.

There is a metal ring high up on the drive shaft that is really stucked. Should it be up there or should it be on/over the water pump housing ? I also have a Loose rubber ring , cant figure out where to put it. Its the same innersize as the drive shaft. About 0.5 inch lenght

There is missing two screws on the lower end behind the propeller, the tapped holes are like 0.39 inch deep. Is something missing there where the screws should attach something?

Force motors are extremly rare in Sweden and I cant get no information here so im glad if you could help me. Tanks

Wow Thank you Jerryjerry05. I Guess the anode is not necessary? seems like the previous owner drove without it. Its Only being in sweetwater.

Should i move up the ring so it is just under the splines and the put the rubberring on the top of the metalring ?

The ring should be able to come off with a bit of upward pressure.
Cresent wrench and a hammer.
The ring is the second part of the spline cover.
It's rubber and fits up on top of the splines and sets on the metal lip.

The 2 holes.
They are for an anode.
Sacrificial zink.

Find a parts diagram for your motor.
They will help with the part ID.
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/force-outboard-parts/35-hp-1991/356e91a/gear-housing

Found a pic on Internet, its a 89 but the metal ring is at exactly same place as mine so I guess I just leave it there but put on the rubber ring on top.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180728-005026_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180728-005026_Chrome.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 35
Put some grease on the splines just a light coat you dont want too much it can cause it to hydraulic and put pressure down on the pinion gear in the gearbox and cook the gears and crankshaft thrust bushings. Dont move the retainer it pushes the seal into the crank to keep water out of the splines.

Last edited:
The ring only sets in one spot.
You'll need to remove i to change the pump.
Then just slide it back on and then grease then the cover.
In fresh water you don't need the zink unless you have a short in your
electrical system.
Some short out and cause galvanic corrosion and the electrolysis can actually eat the drive.

Ok, no i didnt needed to remove the ring when i changed the pump i just lifted out the drive shaft and took of the housing that way. Now everything is mounted again but the drive shaft is moveble up and down like 0.19 or 0.3 inch.

The smaller motors, the drive shaft can be removed.
The bigger motors have a pinion nut and th shaft gets locked in place.

Be careful as the seal can be damaged with the removal/insertion of the shaft.

Do a pressure test after it's assembled, before the oil's added.

Thank you guys. The problems and questions never ends here *lol*. I cant get the lower unit in. I've tried with only the drive shaft and it works fine. When I try the whole unit the drive shaft Will not go in, I just have like 1.1 inch left until its in. I Think its the gear shift rod stearing it wrong. I dont know exactly in which place the rod should stand (its side adjusteble). I also wonder if it suppose to be three gear down neutral up(back neutral forwards?), if so i cant have it över the water pump house becouse it wont shift to gear down then

You sure the shaft is all the way in the gear housing?

I install the propeller and turn it when I put the drive up into the housing.
The shift rod can be in either F or R when installing.
It's easier to turn the prop and push the shift rod down and engaging the gears.
Then try to install it.

No the drive shaft doesnt go in to the gear housing. And it doesnt matter if i turn the propeller i think its the shift rod that is misplaced. I cant find the gear housing for the drive shaft becouse the shift rod is Making resistance. Cant find any pictures of in what place the shift rod should stand,

If the gears and shift shaft aren't put together right?
Then it won't ever fit?#36 and 56 have to fit together on the end of the prop shaft.

MTY0MjU1-cad488ff.png

Thank you. The problem is more like the shift rod being in tight place. It ca n turn 360 and there seems to be possible to adjust the rod in and out /Backward forward. The Only thing i know is that the rod should be right side driving direction as in the picture but im guessing i have to move it backwards. Seems like its too far out

Attachments

• 20180804_002505-1512x2016.jpg
    20180804_002505-1512x2016.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 38
Your pic, post it without the red arrows?
The connector looks homemade?
Looks like the bent rod needs to be pushed deeper into the coupler??

DONE. I had to turn the shift rod so it got closer to the drive shaft.

Attachments

• 20180804_164939-1512x2016.jpg
    20180804_164939-1512x2016.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 33
Back