Logo

"99 Evinrude 90hp VRO PLEEB

Nrkdn

Suspect fuel pump pressure issue. Fuel line seems to have air leak. Have relaced fuel line to engine and replaced remaining fuel line fasteners with radiator clamps. Still, fuel semms to drain from fuel line as bulb loses pressure. Starts fine, and runs fine, but after running , shutting off and drifting, have to repump bulb, then will restart but kills when putting in gear. After several attemts, have to quickly gun it, which throws guests about the boat, then runs ok. Any ideas?

ditto, make sure arrow points towards engine,Also works better if it's vertically mounted

It was vertically mounted originally. But the bulb drained completely then and the one-way valve pumping air wasn't tight enough to creat the vacuum to draw fuel from the tank. It's a 20gal tank, and as the level recedes problems increase. BTW, bulb works better horizontally because some fuel remains in the bulb making the one-way valve work. Which brings me back to the fuel pump.

Test run with a separate fuel tank and your new hose.-----The new hose is a factory replacement or something cheaper from the " this will fit " store ??

Had a eerily similar problem with my '85 90hp evinrude - 20 gal aluminum tank. Turned out the supply line fitting at the top of the tank wasn't a anti-siphon fitting. Replaced it with one and problems solved. Just an experience that might help.

You do.realize that the bulb does not stay hard after the motor starts running? Are you using the cold start lever and primer after it sits for a while? That would be considered a cold start.

Had a eerily similar problem with my '85 90hp evinrude - 20 gal aluminum tank. Turned out the supply line fitting at the top of the tank wasn't a anti-siphon fitting. Replaced it with one and problems solved. Just an experience that might help.

Thanks, please see other reply.

You do.realize that the bulb does not stay hard after the motor starts running? Are you using the cold start lever and primer after it sits for a while? That would be considered a cold start.

Yes, operating fuel pump would soften the bulb would't it? Use cold start procedure initially and after temporay shut off. (Gas cap vent open-incase you're wondering)
Can't place motor in gear with cold start lever up. Drops down to idle speed, place in gear, it dies, ergo renew cold start procedure, drop to idle, put in gear, it dies. Again (wife complaining) Same thing. Again, (wife telling me how to do it) Same thing. Again (wife telling me to fix it) Same thing. Frustrated by now, this time, rev motor with cold start lever, and as engine slows, jam throttle way forward and gun it.

Drain fuel from carb. bowls and inspect contents. Have wife continually pump primer thru the whole process

Last edited:
BTW, cold start fast idle lever should drop to normal idle position as I shift into gear. It doesn't. Any idea how to fix this?

Would like to repair cold start lever. It doesn't drop to normal when placing in gear. Have to drop manually. Any ideas?

Perhaps you are confusing the " quick start " feature which is electronic with the manual lever.-----You have to put that lever down manually it does not go by itself !

Perhaps you are confusing the " quick start " feature which is electronic with the manual lever.-----You have to put that lever down manually it does not go by itself !

Thanks! One less problem. Seem to remember having 73 Johnson 70hp that dropped lever automactically b/c I would always forget to drop it.

Yes, operating fuel pump would soften the bulb would't it? Use cold start procedure initially and after temporay shut off. (Gas cap vent open-incase you're wondering)
Can't place motor in gear with cold start lever up. Drops down to idle speed, place in gear, it dies, ergo renew cold start procedure, drop to idle, put in gear, it dies. Again (wife complaining) Same thing. Again, (wife telling me how to do it) Same thing. Again (wife telling me to fix it) Same thing. Frustrated by now, this time, rev motor with cold start lever, and as engine slows, jam throttle way forward and gun it.

I want to Thank everyone who answered this thread for their help. I finally pulled the fuel pump and started with the vapor pump. Discovered the main diaphrapm in the vapor pump had a small tear in it, and the vapor separator bracket seal was missing. So that's where air was leaking in. Ordered new parts.

Back