Logo

Need of help.... evinrude 70Vro issue

ToothTamer

I have a evinrude 70 vro believe a 86-89... had a issue on the lake the other day and was looking for some opinions fellas.

So left the marina got on plane about 5 minutes into running i felt a power loss looked back quick and seen grey smoke. I immediatly shut down the boat and pulled the cowling. Motor was super hot and i noticed my "Pee Hole" hosing had melted half way down. Explaining the over heating...

Problem was after letting the motor cool and jerry rigging a new hose i couldn't get the boat to fire up.... only way i got it to fire was spraying starting fluid and turning my choke/throttle bar up to fire it and it ran very hard and died shortly after.

Main worry is how much damage could i have done in those 5 minutes of the Hose being melted... had no water in the cowling or around the motor. Hose seemed to have sealed itself closed not letting any water loose near the motor.

My concern is i blew a cylinder or 2...

Any help would be more then appreciated guys. In a bind here thank you for looking.

That hose had nothing to do with your overheating. Either your waterpump failed or the water intakes got plugged. Do a compression test and pull the head off to see the damage. The hose.melted shut because the motor was so hot.

Going to order a compression guage and look into tearing that apart also.
Anything in particular i should be looking for when i break the motor down?

Appreciate the help hopefully i shut down before any major damage....

Don't take anything apart yet, first do the compression test. The test does not require any taking apart of anything.

Are you sure you had oil in the gas?

If you eventually get everything fixed, I would strongly advise that you install a water temperature gauge and a water pressure gauge. With the two gauges you can see trouble coming. You can't see anything coming with the engine alarms moreover, the engine alarms could malfunction or may be too late. The water pressure gauge tells you right away if something is clogging the intakes or if your impeller is starting to go. The water temperature gauge confirms it, and tells you if the water passages are clogged or the thermostat is not working right. The two gauges are your only eyes into the cooling system operation.

Last edited:
BY the way, I am now working on an overheat alarm going off on a 70hp VRO 1990 for a friend who had no gauges. I am working blind because it could be that the alarm is bad, the heads are clogged, or the new water pump was installed wrong. If it had those gauges it would have whittled down the possible causes without any work. I now have broken head bolts to deal with from removing the head to check the water passages for clogging (in my experience a common problem for old engines in Florida where I live). It turns out that the passages were quite clean after almost 30 years. Out of 12 old outboards I've repaired , 9 were totally clogged, so I "assumed", that was the problem. It was not, and now I have a bigger problem with broken bolts.

My vro has been converted to mix. So 100% it had efficient oil i mix 50 to 1 every fill up and also sea foam. If it isnt destroyed i will have to install those guages to help issues like this.

Ill do the compression test first then go from there. Sounds like ill need to get a new water pump no matter what. Hopefully the motor turning over and at least being able to start with the throttle bar up and starting fluid is a ok sign....

Probably clinging on to hope lol but will see.

Do not buy the water pump yet. If it was my motor I would pull the head right away ,at a minimum it will need to be resurfaced. If you got lucky overheating it took out the head gasket. Using starting fluid and the high idle lever to even get it running does not bode well for you. Taking the head will also allow you to see what size pistons are in it.

Back