Logo

Suzuki DF140 Mixing Water and Oil

Horsedoc

I bought a used 2008 DF140 that had been used in salt water for about 300hrs. The oil was clear when I bought it. I used it once in salt water and several times in fresh water before I noticed that water had gotten into the oil and I had severe corrosion of internal engine parts.
I put a rebuilt powerhead on the engine and inspected everything else thoroughly finding nothing abnormal. When running the freshly-rebuilt engine in the test tank there was excessive oil accumulating in the water but no evidence of water in the oil. When the engine is cranked out of the test tank a small amount of engine oil drips out of the water intake. What did I miss? Where is the oil leaking into the cooling system?
Thanks in advance!

Check you oil cooler, that is the housing the oil filter is screwed to, I have known a few to corrode through from the water gallery

Check you oil cooler, that is the housing the oil filter is screwed to, I have known a few to corrode through from the water gallery

It's a brand new oil cooler.
I suspect I am dealing with the same leak that allowed water into the oil before the overhaul. I just don't know where to look.

Just to be clear, you mean oil is running down the water delivery tube, past the impeller and out of the pick up screen?

Have you removed the lower unit to see if there is oil running down the drive shaft in which case the seal on the secondary drive gear is leaking.If there is no oil from above then it is leaking gear oil out of the seal below the waterpump base plate

I also meant to say, take the water pump housing off and see if there is an excessive amount of oil on the impeller, do all this and we can pin point where the oil is coming from and go from there.

I pulled the oil cooler and pressure tested it with air up to 30psi under water and had no leaks. There was some evidence of water in the engine oil.
I have not checked down low to see where the oil is draining from. However, if water is getting into the oil doesn't the leak have to be in the oil reservoir or above?

Yes it does, I thought you said water wasn't getting into the oil.You will have to remove the power head again. Check you power head mount gasket carefully, there are two different gaskets for the 140, one has a very slightly different shape near the exhaust, just be sure it is correct. Otherwise you will have no option other than to pull the head off and recheck everything

Yes it does, I thought you said water wasn't getting into the oil.You will have to remove the power head again. Check you power head mount gasket carefully, there are two different gaskets for the 140, one has a very slightly different shape near the exhaust, just be sure it is correct. Otherwise you will have no option other than to pull the head off and recheck everything

Unfortunately, I have seen this thread late and opened its own.
I have the same problem, also a DF140 from 2006. There is no water in the oil. There is a light film in the water when the boat is running. When the boat is out of the water, clean engine oil drips down. The oil cooler also appears to be tight after a test.

Ralph

Back