Logo

Engine ID and Fuel injection system ID

jon_allen

Regular Contributor
Hi GuysI'm working on a late 90s 29 Tiara with twin MPI big blocks.I gave the serial numbers (off of the valve covers) to my local Crusader dealer and he could not tell determine if they are 7.4 HOs or 8.2s.I contacted Crusader and they never got back to me. I am having starting problems and need to know what fuel injection system I have so I can order the proper manual. MEFI 2,3 etc.i believe they are 7.4s but can't be sure.ThanksJon Allen

That's a shame....on both accounts....

Not offering the data from the ID plate makes it rough, especially on those of us that aren't fond of random speculation....

the model should have the engine code....

As far as the ECU goes, the differences between 2's and 3's are easy to see....the GM part number makes a good alternative. As far as getting the MEFI manuals, once you know the type, getting a manual (the Delphi's are preferred) is easy....debugging between the two blocks is pretty common and there is much in common with the hardware...

Hi Mark

i believe the motors I am dealing with are 7.4 MPIs .

The problem I am having is that I have a constant start stall situation when cold which goes on for 3 mins or so. Then no start whatsoever. 5 mins later same thing. I can hear the fuel pump come on when I turn the key to on. I have watched the oil pressure come up while cranking.

i suspect either a bad oil pressure switch/ circuitry leading to the ecm or a bad fuel pump relay.

Engine ran well a few days back as it was the engine that got the boat back when the other engine overheated and had to be shut down

I contacted Crusader with serial #s but they never got back to me.

An old friend runs a local Crusader parts business and he can't even get me info based on the serial numbers.

I suspect it's a MEFI3 system which I can use my Rinda Codemate on.

The boat is a 1999 Tiara.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sad thing is that there is a decal on the motors listing the different motors that are available and a block next to them that should have been checked off.

Didn't happen on either motor!

Sad

Thanks
Jon Allen

Last edited:
Hi Bt

Thanks for your advice. What happened on this boat is that the engine pulleys were badly rusted and turned the belts to dust on more than one occasion.

The belt dust clogged the spark arrestors, actually got past them, clogged up the IAC passages etc. Plugs fouled etc. Still working on it!

Thanks Again
Jon Allen

If its got a MEFI box on it, the Rinda tool is the fastest way to get an overall assessment.....if there no 'out of bounds' parameters, then that would suggest looking at the non-ECU monitored items....a fuel pressure would be one of them....

Back