Logo

logsplitter

i am doing a timing carb sync on a 1977 75 h. p. evinrude the paper work i found says to set start by setting throtle arm to 4 & 31/32 start engine set timing to with light to top dead center i do that the engine is running around 4000 r. p. m. i do not think this is right pulled spark plug set engine to top dead center this was ok i need to know if this r. p. m. should be higher or lower at this time

WOT timing has nothing to with the carb link and sync. If you are going to set WOT timing look up the joe reeves method of timing.

flyingscott thanks for your intrest this is not wot the manual states set throttle linkest arm to 4 and 31/32 then set timing to t. d. c. then align mark on cam lever to center of carb. roller on center carb. then with eng. running in forward gear without opening carbs. set idle at 750 r. p. m. when set at t.d.c. eng. is running to fast to put in gear. do i slow eng. back down before going in gear this is done by backing timing back down also this will also change cam mark alignment. the book does'nt relate r.p.m. at t.d.c. i thought someone has done this before and figured it out. thank you logsplitter

thanks i have manual but it does'nt state r.p.m. when timing is at t.d.c. this is not w.o.t i just thought someone has done this before and knew the r.p.m. thanks for your intrest

You are making this to hard on yourself You DO NOT CARE about rpm. To do the link and sync remove the throttle cable from the motor. Now back the idle screw off. Start the motor and do not let it overev you may have to manually manipulate the linkages to get it running. Now when it is running Put the timing light on and adjust the idle screw until the pointer lines up with the TDC mark on the flywheel. MAKE SURE the roller does not contact the carb cam while doing this. You may have to move it out of the way. When the marks line up shut the motor off now adjust the roller into the cam per the manual. That is where you want the carbs to start opening. When that is done back off the idle screw and reconnect the throttle cable. Best to do this in a barrel or on the lake so you have some backpressure on the motor.

Back