Logo

Spark Plug Trouble

I wouldn't think so, the anode is a sacrificial piece of material, so the rest of the engine does not begin to corrode.

The anode has nothing to do with how the engine performs, at least in the short term. As eneusiis said, it's only function is to prevent corrosion of the outer engine parts by becoming the target of the corrosion. That's why it's called a sacrificial anode.

We may need some more information in order to help. You mentioned that the spark plugs have “died”. Have you physically removed them and checked for spark at each cyclinder? If so what condition are the plugs in? I agree with the above comments regarding the hydrofoil (properly installed) will not affect how the engine runs. That being said it can and will improve performance but it’s not directly related to either the ignition nor the fuel system on the engine.

After I was towed in when the engine "died", I replaced the plugs, it started the first pull, but nothing before that.
We may need some more information in order to help. You mentioned that the spark plugs have “died”. Have you physically removed them and checked for spark at each cyclinder? If so what condition are the plugs in? I agree with the above comments regarding the hydrofoil (properly installed) will not affect how the engine runs. That being said it can and will improve performance but it’s not directly related to either the ignition nor the fuel system on the engine.

The plugs look fine, no soot, a little wet when I took them out, but I think that was from trying to get it going. I had 2 spare plugs at home, put them in, engine started first pull. This is the second time this has happened within the last 2 years. Everyone I talk to has never heard of both plugs dying at once. Both times it happened, I had stopped to fish, when I pulled the cord to get it going, it made an offer to go, stopped, .then no spark, came home, put spares in, started right up. I bought the plugs at a Honda dealer. I am stumped and I don't trust the motor anymore.

Not knowing what age the 15 hp is, I am going to assume it is a fairly current model.

I am going out into left field for this thought.....it might not be spark plugs at all.

One thing that could be happening, is that you are flooding the motor when you try to start it. Evidence....your plugs are wet. You put dry ones in and it starts....

If you happen to twist the handle too many times when trying to start it might flood it. There may be other reasons also.

Next time it fails to start, twist the throttle grip all the way to full throttle and hold it there when trying to start. If it is a manual start, do not pull the choke out all the way....maybe even push it in, as an experiment.

Be ready to bring the throttle back down quickly, in case it does start.

Just trying to think of something simple.

Mike

Well, it's a 1998 with very little use. I don't think it's a fuel issue because the plugs have no spark, ever. I have to install new plugs for the engine to start, then, it works like a new motor. I've had the motor 3 years and this has happened twice. The motor has a safety feature that you can't twist the throttle all the way while it's in neutral and it won't start at all in gear. The plugs are not really wet, just a little. I've been asking around since it happened and one guy told me I may need a hotter plug.

My guess of a newer model was wrong. Sorry for misleading.

Your throttle sounds like it is functioning correctly.

Although, to efficiently start these models, I have found to advance the throttle all the way to the stop to start the motor. Make sure that there is some movement of the carburetor lever when you advance it. Sometimes, when the carburetor is taken off , the throttle linkage does no get reconnected properly and the carburetor butterfly will not slightly open when the handle is advanced to the stop.

The recommended plug is DR6HS.

A little hotter plug is DR5HS. Usually, I will recommend this is the motor is used to idle around a lot. It may not be so good for high speed consistent operation.

While we are on the thought of "heat". Is the motor getting to temperature? Temperature is supposed to get somewhere around 165 deg F. The motor may be running too cold.

Mike

One thing I forgot. You said that there is not spark...ever. How have you tested for spark? Did you know that both plugs have to be in the circuit and grounded for either to fire? They both fire at the same time.

Yes, I have, there is no spark on the old plugs, both plugs died at the same time, this is the second time in as many years, both times I came home, put new plugs in and it starts right up

How do the old plugs look? (Black ,brown,white?). It’s possible your motor may be running rich and fouling the plugs. Possible the float may be partially stuck in the carb causing a flooding condition. Just trying to throw out some ideas here. It’s possible you have a fuel problem that’s causing the plugs to fail.

Well, again, I don't think it's a fuel problem because when I put new plugs in, it's starts right up. The old plugs are clean, no fouling. I found out that the plugs that I was was using are a hotter plug for slow speed DR5HS, so I'm going to try DR6HS (colder)

Well, maybe the colder running plugs will be the cure to your problem. I do have a suggestion though....take a spare set with you....don't leave them at home this time.

Good luck.

So why did you say that you went home TWICE to put in new plugs?

As far as "two plugs dying at once", I don't THINK that is what is happening. Could be...I've been wrong at least twice. If the cold plugs keep her reliably running then so be it.

But, like others here have guessed, I think you may be flooding the cylinders with your re-start process.

So, prove me wrong.

Gday.

I had spare plugs with me, but thanks for the obvious. That still doesn't help me with why both plugs are dying at once.
I think you're the only one that thinks both plugs are dying at once. Plugs rarely go bad. But anything is possible I guess.
Also, just so you know. You're coming across as a jerk.

Back