Logo

Bf45a overheated now wont even crank

Masami96744

I got this motor from a friend about 5 months ago and it was sitting for 10yrs. So I changed oils and impeller right away. It ran fine. But other day as I was flushing motor overheat light beeped and water wasnt shooting out really strong like normal. Next day went again and no water was coming out. Tried to clean Water lines to see if was clogged up. It ran for about 15 minutes in idle then the overheat light came on and beeped again and motor shut off. Since then it wont even crank when trying to turn over. I touched battery terminals and it was hot as hell. I think impeller might have been bad for water not shooting out issue but any idea why it wont even crank? Somebody told me might be starter soleniod so I took it out and trying to find one. Any help will be great. Thnx.

Sounds like you have a few issues. I would first inspect the impeller again, next time replace the impeller + housing, its not that much more. 2. Next to the spark plugs is the water inlet cover, pop it off and inspect for a clog, clean and replace seal as necessary. 3. Pull the flywheel cover off and try to turn it by hand, which will be hard, but its doable. If you can turn it, then its not seized.

Then I would move onto your electrical issue, if your terminals are hot, usually means you have a short somewhere.

Sounds like you have a few issues. I would first inspect the impeller again, next time replace the impeller + housing, its not that much more. 2. Next to the spark plugs is the water inlet cover, pop it off and inspect for a clog, clean and replace seal as necessary. 3. Pull the flywheel cover off and try to turn it by hand, which will be hard, but its doable. If you can turn it, then its not seized.

Then I would move onto your electrical issue, if your terminals are hot, usually means you have a short somewhere.

Thnx, quick question. I bypassed the starter to see if was seized and it started that way. Wont crank with ignition. Only if I jump the starter. Should I still take off flywheel cover n try turn?

No to removal of flywheel. Terminals,cables that get hot can also be a sign of internal corrosion in cables,the fact that you can jump the starter takes that out of the equation. Do you have 12 volts at the solenoid when key is turned to start?

No to removal of flywheel. Terminals,cables that get hot can also be a sign of internal corrosion in cables,the fact that you can jump the starter takes that out of the equation. Do you have 12 volts at the solenoid when key is turned to start?

The cables corrosion would it most likely be in the positive or negative cables? If so how do I check it. I looked at ends and didnt see corrosion.

Back