Logo

67 80hp electromatic shifting issues

KD2ITW

searching many forums I discovered a few diagnostic tests.
with shift lever in forward I see 12v at the green wire connector in the rear of the engine.
with shift lever in reverse I see 12v at the blue wire connector in the rear of the engine.
i May have the colors reversed??
i see 4 ohms on each wire going to the gear case.
in neutral, the engine spins freely when trying to start it.
with the shift lever in either forward or reverse, the engine cranks very hard and the prop turns clockwise only.
I'm leaning towards an issue in the gear case at this point.
any clues how to proceed would help.
my 77 year old neighbor with no computer thanks you in advance.

Green forward, blue reverse is correct. The issue with tightening up in gear suggests an electrical fault, where both coils are getting a voltage. But not really. I can't put my finger on it. If the clutches are dragging from a mechanical issue (rust), it should show up in neutral also. Dunno.

Try it with both blue and green disconnected at the motor.

EDIT: Yeah, I say it is getting a voltage on both wires at the same time, making it try to go in forward and reverse at the same time, which will lock it up.

Last edited:
Put it in forward and check the voltage on the green wire. Leave it in forward and see if you have any voltage on the blue wire.

Yes, it has voltage to both wires causing it to lock up.
While I was away this afternoon he started the engine and put it in gear. It stalled immediately.
I will fix the wiring issue. Let’s hope the gears aren’t ruined!

Ok,we are good to go.
First thing I checked after removing the poor patch was to check for 8 ohms to individual coils. 8 on one and 7.8 on the other.
I rewired the patch and again check for 8 ohms on both wires, same results as above.
i took 12v and ground to the lower unit while it was still on the bench.
I have neutral with no voltage applied. 12v to one wire correctly gave me forward. 12v to the other correctly gave me reverse.
we are out of the woods.

thanks again for all the great suggestions, it was very helpful.

Back