Logo

1995 60 HP Evinrude - Blowing Trim Relays (Up)

GLJohnson1

Greetings,

I've tried to find another post for help/info but unsuccessful so far.

Trim (up) function quit. Trim down functional.

1. Replaced UP relay with relay purchased via Amazon to another vendor; all indications it was proper replacement. Motor trimmed up 2-3 times and quit. Switched UP/DOWN relays to confirm bad relay and it appears relay is non-functional.
2. Ordered new relay (0586224) from Marine Engine. Experienced same results as #1 above.
3. Relay is clicking when trim switch engaged (at motor).
4. As such, I am assuming somehow the relays are being "blown."

Motor details:
1. Garage kept.
2. Only 2-3 outings this year.

Any help/information is appreciated.

Thanks!
Greg J

That is odd failure, but here's an idea. You have a up trim limit switch. (Blue, blue/white stripe wire) mounted on the tilt tube. Only effects up operation of TNT, not down. It works off a cam on the tilt tube. Find the colored wires I described & just unplug them & plug them back in together. Eliminating the switch. See if that cures your problem? If it does your cam may be broken on the tilt tube. Fairly common thing. Bitch to change. Not much room in there. Just a wild guess, but doesn't cost anything to check it out.

Thanks t2stroke!

Update:
1. Trim UP suddenly functional with new relay. Very slight delay on UP trigger with new relay. (I tested before I visited local marine service.)
2. Switched UP/DOWN relays and still functional. Very slight delay on DOWN trigger; seems to be common with new relay.
3. Visited local Marine Service shop. He suggested cleaning out the relay receptacles as there is greasy substance on the terminal of the new relay I showed him. Potential problem could be poor connection of terminals. For the record, I delivered him a case of his favorite beer upon his advice to check relays when I asked him about my original trip UP issue. He's very helpful and that was the least I could do as compensation for his help.
4. I will clean out receptacles as suggested and report results.

I mislead you with my comments, sorry. I was rereading your post & saw where you said your relays just clicks after your problem occurs. If it was the trim limit switch you would have no sound/contact.
The grease is there for a reason (to stop corrosion), but you may have to clear some of it out of the way to see if you have a loose connection. Look at the back of the square connector as you put in a relay to see if a wire is being pushed out of place. (Hope that is clear?) The wire connectors have little tabs on them that hold them inside the assembly. You can bend the tab out a little before reassembly so it holds better.

Thanks t2stroke! I will report back with progress on your suggestions. Quite the heat wave here in TX so it may be a week or so before I update.

Update:
All square connectors in place and appear to have good connection.
1. The one "good" relay from manufacturer consistently works in EITHER up or down trim position. No intermittent fails.
2. The replacement I received from Marine Engine intermittently fails in EITHER up or down trip position.
3. The other "bad" relay from manufacturer managed to work once or twice when replaced.

Summary: In ANY position and without fail, the "good" relay from manufacturer is working on 100% of the tries; in EITHER position. However, the replacement relay only works intermittently in EITHER position! In full disclosure, I had ordered a relay from another source and it worked on 2-3 tries; then nothing in either position. At the time, I didn't keep moving the relays around to determine if that relay would have intermittently worked; I simply assumed it was bad and sent it back.

Local marine service shop agreed to order an "OEM replacement" for me. So, I will try this step.

The fact that the "Good" relay works in either relay socket (Up/Dn) proves that tour relay junction box and all PTT wiring is good... BUT... for some reason, you're having a never ending relay failure encounter.... and such a encounter is really unheard of.

I'm assuming that after that relay fails.... it will not function in either socket?

Are you by any chance incorporating a dual battery setup?... Thinking possibly a 24v surge somehow!

Thanks joereeves.

Single battery for the motor/lift. The "replacement" relay does not fail - it intermittently does not function. This is the second relay that I have tried. I've wiggled/thumped the relay while in place when no function with no results. I've toggled the switch on/off at multiple speeds/held the switch, etc.

Battery terminals cleaned.

I fully understand the odds of 2 bad relays are almost zero; surely 2 bad relays that fail intermittently!

The "OEM" relay functions on all attempts.

Back