Logo

Leaking Rear Seal on Velvet Drive Transmission

ScottFree

I have a 1989 Model 10-17-006 Velvet Drive 1.52:1, serial 24995. The trans operates well in both forward and reverse at all speeds. Yet fluid leaks past the rear seal on the port transmission. I have replaced the rear seal twice. The first time replacing the seal as it came out of the package after cleaning the coupler shaft with 400 & 600 grit emery cloth. The seal did not leak for several trips.

By the end of the season the starboard side started to leak. I expected a 28 year old transmission to follow the other one.

The second time I drew the tension spring in on the seal before installing it on the port side and installed the starboard side seal right out of the package after cleaning it. After about 5 hours running the port side leaks and the starbboard side is holding.

I believe the transmission be building up pressure. I checked the vents externally and found no blockage. Is there a control valve I am missing? Is there any advice I can have to repair this?

Thank you in advance.

Hi Scott Free, Did you put #2 permatex or rtv on the splines and under the coupling nut?? If not it will leak. Also if the seal riding surface on the coupling is worn you should replace it.
Charlie w.

Hi Charlie, I did use permatex on the housing prior to installing the seal. I did not think about using this behind the nut. The seal riding surface was smooth. I used the emery cloth to clean up the rust/buildup on the exposed area at the flange base of the coupler.

Will using permatex on the splines make future removal more difficult?

Back