Logo

Leaky fuel tank

Terry in Ottawa

Contributing Member
The fuel tank that came with my J25TEEDA is now 22 years old. Today in 90F temperatures I noticed fuel seepage around the housing on the top of the tank. Opening the gas cap slightly eased the problem.

This housing has had a crack in it for some time but I never felt that it led to any leakage. It should be visible in the picture if you can zoom in.

A new gasket is available from Marine Engineering. However a replacement housing, part number 176469, is no longer available.

Should I go ahead and order a replacement gasket or just bite the billet and buy a new tank?

Are there other parts that are likely to fail and that I should replace at this time, if I keep the tank

Attachments

• A1E8585C-683D-414E-966C-E65204555FB4.jpg
    A1E8585C-683D-414E-966C-E65204555FB4.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 41
Thanks for the suggestions.

I’ve ordered a replacement gasket. This is the cheap option, it might even fix it, and I might even learn something.

When I have the housing off I’ll try to fix the crack too.

If I still have a problem after that I’ll buy a new tank.

Trying to figure out which J-B Weld product to repair the housing. I don't think it's metal, maybe plastic or some composite material. I have J-B Weld Steelstik but don't know if it works on non-metal parts. Any suggestions?

I have the exact issue with the exact tank and was trying to source a gasket also.I did use jb weld on mine acouple times as did the previous owner.I need the gasket to see if it is really holding.Let us know how it works.

I have ordered a gasket, part number 0125530, to go between the housing and the tank.

I’m expecting it to be delivered this week. When I have the housing off to replace the gasket I’ll try to repair the crack in the housing with J-B Weld original cold-weld formula. How did your J-B Weld repair do?

I’ll post my results when I have everything done.

I laid the job weld on pretty heavy the last time I did it and tried to get in the cracks best I could. I may have even made the cracks a little wider to get the weld in there better..I need the gasket to see if that is the only leak and if any is seeping out my repair..I did just put a new end also on my hose..May have been seeping out it also..

My replacement gasket arrived late last week and this weekend I made the repairs to the gas tank.

The old gasket looked pretty good, except for one small tear near a screw hole, and there was no indication of any fuel seepage past the gasket.

I degreased the tank before disassembly and I found a second crack in the housing. I scratched both cracks with a pick and filed a flat on both sides of each crack. After blowing it clean, applied the J-B Weld.

It looks good reassembled so I'm anxious to get back out fishing to see if this has eliminated the problem (or at least not made it worse).

One more update to come!

The pictures:
1 a second crack discovered after degreasing and cleaning

2 looks like the old gasket was doing its job (notice the small tear near one of the screw holes)

3 very clean surface under the gasket

4 j-b weld repair to both cracks

5 reassembled and ready for testing

Attachments

• OMC fuel tank reassembledtest3.jpg
    OMC fuel tank reassembledtest3.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 38
  • OMC fuel tank crack repair-small.jpg
    OMC fuel tank crack repair-small.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 36
  • OMC fuel tank old gasket-small.jpg
    OMC fuel tank old gasket-small.jpg