Logo

1986 Black Max Stator, Trigger and Rectifier Replacement Issue.

Vvs1Blue

A few weeks ago I went ahead and replaced my stator and trigger (1986 Mercury 150 Black Max). I tested the engine and it turned just fine. To be on the safe side, a few weeks later I changed the rectifier (Sierra 18-05707) making sure all wiring was correctly connected. However this morning I went to turn on the engine in order to adjust the idle and it would turn but not start.
Usually, I would keep the parts replaced but I just moved from the Keys to here and mindlessly tossed the replacement part out.
Any suggestions?

Is battery fully charged? Engine needs to turn 200-300 rpm to produce spark
Yes. Not only are the batteries on a constant charge, but o checked the voltage on them as well.
I also tested the resistance on the stator and trigger and they passed as well. It’s unfortunate that I threw away the old rectifier but at this point I have to think that the rectifier is faulty.

Make sure you don't have the 'kill switch' off!
LOL! No, I did not do that mistake. Today I went through the entire start switch and fuses. I took a look at the fuel bulb and tighten it. Pumped it up, right away it felt "different". Sure enough I cranked the engine and she immediately roared to life. And I do mean ROAR, she hit over 3K RPMs (yes I had her in a tank). I had changed the throttle and transmission cables and now I am going to have to adjust this.

Thank you everyone for your comments.

Attachments

• 20150501_194615.jpg
    20150501_194615.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 45
Vvs1Blue,when starting engine, do not let her rev roar that high without the prop turning,in other words without a load,otherwise parts could go flying.$$$$

Back