Logo

200 hp Honda Alarm, no codes, volts not rising

Buoycall

Had a hard start after about a min it started, started Steady beep....beep.... beep after motor starts then Noticed volts not increasing with increased power. Installed 2 new batteries, volts at 12.2 decreased with daily use to 11ish. Checked 150amp fuse all good, found #5 fuse blown on port side of motor. Tried shunting the red plug to get a code on the dash, got no codes. Waiting on time to get to store to get new fuse.

anyone else have this issue. Did the new fuse fix the problem or what else could i look for. Thank you. Motor has ran flawlessly since 2010

The fuse that has blown provides 12V to Alternator, O2 sensor,fuel cut off solenoid, and service check connector. My guess is you may have blown it by connecting the wrong wires when shorting out the service check connector. Replace the fuse and see if it blows again, service check disconnected, and then check alternator output etc. The hard starting would have been because the O2 sensor was not functioning. The beep beep would have been because the alternator wasn't charging.

Just dropped off the boat to a marina. Daid was the o2 sensor, changed that and still blowing #5 fuse. Now ssid it has to be a short in wite hsrness which is about $700 for the harness. Any thoughts, probhave to make a decision tomorrow. Thanks

Well. Wound up being a short in the fuse panel in the engine yellow wire loose shorting out. After they found that it still kept digging and found another short in the wire harness from the engine to the console. So after 38 hours labor and 2 wire harnesses it was fixed. Had it not been for the dillegence of thise mechanics i would have never been able to fix it. The shop really worked with us on the labor costs which def helped. It Was a but expensive but we are back in action.

Replacing the wire harness is unnecessary and is a "lazy" way out IMO. I have had 2 of the 2003 200's that the previous owner left the boat on the water and neglected to do any preventative maintenance and/or maintenance to the engines. My engines had more corrosion on them then others that I have seen. Neither of the had issues with wire harnesses.

Back