Logo

Pull cord locked up

Swiplash

We have a 96 yachttwin 9.9 two strokewith electric start. Tried to start it today and it spun up then justlocked up. I thought I had a hydro lock so I took the plugs out. Notthat. Solenoid would not engage. I wacked it and it fired right up. Iwanted to make sure I could start the motor out on the water so Itried the pull starter. It's locked up tight. Won't budge. Motor willnow start with the starter. but not the pull cord. What's up? Any thoughts?

Yes, I believe it does. I looked at the parts list and I do have a lockout link but it's just hanging free and I don't see anything to connect it to. It's free at the top. Don't know what the bottom of it is connected to.

Does that model have a recoil starter lockout?
My thought too. There is a little tab on the pull rope recoil that will catch if the motor is in gear. It's a pretty close fit to the notch it engages so if your shift linkage is off a bit the lockout can engage. The 'Whack' you gave it may have dislodged the lockout.

The 96 models have a recoil above the flywheel.-----Locked by a rod that connects to shift linkage.-----In gear you can not pull the cord.----If you can not pull in nuetral repairs /adjustment to the rod is required.

Back